Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default The most important lesson I've learned.

I’ve been a student/instructor of self-defense for more than 40 years. The most important lesson I’ve learned in my journey is:

When a person experiences the adrenaline rush during a “life and death” situation, their brain loses much of it’s ability to problem-solve, think and remember.

That’s why it’s so critically important that self-defense training becomes automatic and as simple to remember as possible. I’ve used rhymes numerous times to help my students remember their training when under stress- because it works. The following rhyme I wrote sums up the 10 most important self-defense points to remember after avoidance and de-escalation attempts have failed:

THE 10 SELF-DEFENSE COMMANDS

Scan the hands. Shoot upper chest.
    Move to cover. Find the rest!

Carry a gun, phone, ammo and light.
    Know the law, so you do it right.

When the threat’s over the shooting stops.
    Call 9-1-1. Don’t talk to cops!

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL- HAVE A PLAN!

Let’s break down each of these commands:

1. “Scan the hands…” This command refers to threat assessment and pre-incident indicators. Notice the hands because it’s the hands that kill. Are both hands visible? Are the hands empty or do they hold a weapon? What other pre-incident indicators are present?
    2. “Shoot upper chest.” This command refers to shot placement. Many defenders neglect to adjust their point of aim after they scan the hands. Their eyes focus on the hands because that’s where they see the threat and they just start pulling the trigger. This command reminds them that the only effective areas for shot placement are the 9” critical circle of the upper, center chest and the 3” x 5” area around the Bad Guy’s eyes.
    3. “Move to cover.” The first thought that should enter your mind if you get into a life-and-death situation is to MOVE TO COVER before, during and after the shooting starts. The number one goal of self-defense is to survive the physical fight and the best way to do this is not to get shot. You must know the difference between cover and concealment. “Distance and cover are your best friends. Concealment is only an acquaintance.”
    4. “Find the rest!” Once you’ve engaged the Bad Guy(s) in front of you, you need to scan the 360 degree area around you without moving your gun and look for the Bad Guy’s friends and/or the cops. Remember, the Bad Guys are like wolves that travel in packs. This scanning also helps to break the tunnel vision you will get from the adrenaline rush. Take your finger off the trigger, keep your gun pointed in a safe direction and don’t holster it until you are sure you are safe or until the cops arrive.
    5. “Carry a gun, phone, ammo and light.” These are the basic self-defense items you should have within your reach 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Remember “P.O.G.O.” (Pants On- Gun On.) If you can’t reach your tools when the flag goes up, they are useless! “Ammo” means an extra magazine if you use a semi-automatic and “light” means a tactical flashlight.
    6. “Know the law, so you do it right” The second goal of self-defense is to survive the legal fight after an incident. You not only have to automatically know and apply the use of deadly force laws, you also need to know the laws for when, where and how to properly carry your gun. The legal system doesn’t like people who use guns to defend themselves so you must be properly prepared to stay well within the legal boundaries. The best way to do this is to study Andrew Branca’s book, The Law of Self Defense and to study your state’s firearm/defense laws. A good starting point for that is www.handgunlaw.us.
    7. “When the threat’s over the shooting stops.” One of the biggest mistakes many self-defenders make is that they keep shooting after the threat ceases or they pursue the Bad Guys. Once the Bad Guy is neutralized, whether it takes zero shots or a full magazine, you must stop shooting. And if the Bad Guy runs away, which is common, you can’t pursue because then you become the aggressor in the eyes of the law.
    8. “Call 9-1-1.” It’s very important that you stay at the scene and call 9-1-1 if you can do so safely. This act helps to establish you as the victim. Remember that everything you say to the 9-1-1 operator is recorded and can be used against you in court. Don’t make any “excited utterances” such as “He got what he deserved”, “I’m glad I blew his &%&%#@ head off”, etc. Also remember that the 9-1-1 operator is not a cop and you don’t have to do what they tell you to do. You are your own First Responder and you must handle the situation until others arrive to take over. Tell the operator your location and the bare-bone facts to get help on the way. DO NOT TELL THE OPERATOR WHAT HAPPENED IN DETAIL! Stop talking then leave the phone line open so they can record what’s happening.
    9. “Don’t talk to cops!” THE COPS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS! In this situation, their job is to put you in jail- not exonerate you. Anything you say to the cops will be used against you so limit what you say and don’t give details- that’s your lawyer’s job. At the scene the only things you should say to the cops are as follows:
    • “I was attacked and I was in fear for my life.”
    • “I will sign a complaint against those people.”
    • “There is the evidence.” (Point out the Bad Guy’s gun, shell casings, knife, etc.)
    • “Those people witnessed what happened.” (Also look for video cameras in the area.)
    • “I do not consent to any searches of myself, my car, my home or seizures of my property.” They may do it anyway but your objections should be noted and any evidence they collect will possibly be deemed inadmissible in court.
    • “I will cooperate with your investigation after I have consulted with my lawyer.
    • “I INVOKE MY RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT!” AND THEN SHUT UP!!!
    10. “MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL- HAVE A PLAN!” If you don’t have a plan your brain will freeze under an adrenaline rush. You need to build your “library of responses” using “What If” mental visualizations. The more you mentally rehearse hypothetical life-and-death situations and come up with multiple solutions, the better equipped you will be when you encounter a real one. The more detailed your plan the better but even a generic plan is helpful. It can be as simple as:
    • Who am I going to help? Myself, my family, friends, strangers?
    • Where will I go? To my bedroom, out the exit door, get in my car?
    • What will I do? Do I run? Do I hide? Do I stand and fight?
    • What equipment do I need? Pepper spray, a gun, a knife, a phone, a flashlight?
    I hope this information helps you remember your training.
    Last edited by WALTHERGUY; August 18th, 2019 at 03:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world is and remains immortal.- Albert Pines

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: The most important lesson I've learned.

Thanks for sharing!

(Montgomery County)

Good lessons and good reminders...

(Berks County)

My God I will study this until it is rote! Thanks!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Chester County)

Well, for someone with 49 posts in 12 YEARS, I've just gotta rep you.

Many thanks for sharing your point of view..
    - bamboomaster

(Butler County)

This is incredibly useful and helpful information. Thank you for sharing!

PickingPA Guest

Very detailed thank you

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Well, for someone with 49 posts in 12 YEARS, I've just gotta rep you.

Many thanks for sharing your point of view..
    I was thinking the same thing. Rep giving.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)