Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Purchased pistol new - never used it - dealer has it on Gunbroker as used?

It's just like a car. Once you drive it off the lot, it's used.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Purchased pistol new - never used it - dealer has it on Gunbroker as used?

Quote Originally Posted by lraklrak View Post
    Ok used, even though I never shot it.
    I understand it is only my word.
    Well the only firing that pistol got was from the factory.
    It should have been stated it is in like new condition or perfect condition instead of just excellent.
    To me excellent leaves room for minor imperfections.
    Like new or perfect does not.
    All subjective terms which mean different things to different people. The NRA grading system for modern firearms is:

NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.

PERFECT: In New condition in every respect. (Many collectors & dealers use "As New" to describe this condition).

EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).

VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.

GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.

FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

In the case of your Ruger pistol, "New" doesn't apply because it was previously sold at retail.

Many dealers refrain from using "Perfect" because that implies flawless, and just about anyone can take any "New" or "Perfect" firearm and find at least one flaw. So dealers don't want the potential liability of calling something "Perfect" when they know it can be proven to have defects, however insignificant.

Tanners, like any dealer, has their own system which works for them and their regular customers. Was me, I'd let their system work for them.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I always thought that the term for this condition is 'NIB'.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    NIB is New In Box, a new gun never sold.

ANIB As New In Box would be a gun that has been sold but has no markings, comes with all cards and hang tags etc.
    Yep. ANIB or LNIB (like new in box).

(Berks County)

P95 DC won't sell much higher than $200
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    P95 DC won't sell much higher than $200
    Beat me to it. OP is freaking out over a gun that at the very most would go for $250. With gunbroker and FFL fees he'll be lucky to get $150 out of this deal.

(Jefferson County)

You drove it off the lot... ...it is used.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

This whole thing would be solved if people stopped buying guns they never shoot. I buy a gun to shoot, in fact I've often stopped by the range on the way home from the store to check them out. I've never quite understood the concept of buying a firearm and taking it home and sitting it in the safe and never be shot, then later sold ? just seems odd to me, unless it's some kind of exceptional collectable

(Luzerne County)

I have more than a few new unused guns in my safe. They were bought and returned unfired for some reason. But for all intents and purposes they are a used gun.

Who knows what the original purchaser did to the gun. Took it home and disassembled it and married the surfaces putting it back together?

Maybe took it home out it into the safe and forgot about it. Still used. Still a good buy.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Yep. ANIB (as new in box) or LNIB (like new in box).
    Correct!

Had a bunch of trouble with this thing back when I was a dealer. People would come in wanting to trade the gun of the week they bought 6mos ago , never fired or fired very little , on the latest hot pistol they saw in the gun rags , and expect to get what they paid for the old one because they still considered it 'new'..
    Last edited by abner13; August 17th, 2019 at 03:39 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Now if the pistol was in a sealed bag that was never opened like so many products are would it be classified as new?
    I know firearms are not, but what if they were?
    I have magazines that are sealed in a plastic bag that I sell as new since they were never removed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast