Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Charged with murder during a crime

Quote Originally Posted by jesemd View Post
    Wow. Lots of haters here. I never said thugs need hugs. I said that personally, if I have an opportunity to remove myself from the conflict and NOT shoot someone, to me that is the better outcome. Even if it comes at the loss of a car, or TV, or a lawn gnome. And that I would not shoot someone simply for stealing my car.

Threaten my life or my family and things change....
    Haters?....I'm not sure how else we should feel about criminals looking to prey on us?
    You've stated your opinion on the situation and that's fine and well.I'm glad the law ses it differently in some states.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Everyone I know who has taken a life, whether by accident, in self defense or in battle, all wish it hadn’t had to happen.

I hope that when you kill that criminal that you all seem so eager to kill that you truly feel great about it for the rest of your lives. And when you do so, you do it exactly within the scope of the law and get a sympathetic prosecutor and a sympathetic jury and have some means to pay for a competent attorney so you don’t end up locked up forever.

If all that seems easier than going inside, locking your door and getting a new car, then do it your way.

I’m out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I am not a fan of charging people with crimes they did not commit.

What do you say?
    Agreed, 1000%. I don't want to hear about stupid choices or what they had coming. I expect to be judged for my own actions. To expect different from anyone else is purely hypocritical.

(Lancaster County)

Wow. Lots of haters here. I never said thugs need hugs. I said that personally, if I have an opportunity to remove myself from the conflict and NOT shoot someone, to me that is the better outcome. Even if it comes at the loss of a car, or TV, or a lawn gnome. And that I would not shoot someone simply for stealing my car.

Threaten my life or my family and things change....
    except in this case they had been approaching him with a potential weapon and there were 5 of them, so there was no way to discern whether or not it was a situation where retreat was a viable option. Nobody I can see is "hating" and nobody wants to end a life from what I have gathered being on this forum as long as I have, but remember when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Do I think they should be charged wth Murder no their actions didn't help the situation but they also did not contribute to the untimely death of another. Each of them made a decision to be there and made a choice,they now have to live with that choice. One was not so lucky and I do not feel sorry for that at all. Let's also remember the man was 75 years old so they were preying on someone they thought was weak....big surprise.

(Montgomery County)

Everyone I know who has taken a life, whether by accident, in self defense or in battle, all wish it hadn’t had to happen.

I hope that when you kill that criminal that you all seem so eager to kill that you truly feel great about it for the rest of your lives. And when you do so, you do it exactly within the scope of the law and get a sympathetic prosecutor and a sympathetic jury and have some means to pay for a competent attorney so you don’t end up locked up forever.

If all that seems easier than going inside, locking your door and getting a new car, then do it your way.

I’m out.
    If you take the time to read the many past Poofa threads related to crime, you will find that most people here actively discourage others from shooting petty thieves.
    Most here are well centered and well versed in the law, and we let people know if they are looking for trouble or planning to act outside the law.

This specific case stopped being about petty theft when the gang of military age criminals closed in on a isolated 75 year old man standing on his porch.
    All the LEO's here will tell you that anyone closing in on you with an edged weapon is a good shoot.

No one here is eager to kill anyone, and to characterize us in this way is grossly inaccurate.
    Sometimes the fight comes looking for you, and sometimes deliberate defensive action is the best way to ensure your own survival.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If you take the time to read the many past Poofa threads related to crime, you will find that most people here actively discourage others from shooting petty thieves.
    Most here are well centered and well versed in the law, and we let people know if they are looking for trouble or planning to act outside the law.

This specific case stopped being about petty theft when the gang of military age criminals closed in on a isolated 75 year old man standing on his porch.
    All the LEO's here will tell you that anyone closing in on you with an edged weapon is a good shoot.

No one here is eager to kill anyone, and to characterize us in this way is grossly inaccurate.
    Sometimes the fight comes looking for you, and sometimes deliberate defensive action is the best way to ensure your own survival.
    Good post.... 4 or 5 males coming to your house to steal something may not stop at just the theft. Some of these criminals kill just to make sure no one testifies against them. Bring a knife to a gunfight you might get shot....

I have no sympathy for these young adults.

(Erie County)

I will ask the question no one else wants to. Was it worth taking a life to protect your Audi?

If the thugs were threatening the man, he had a right to defend himself. However he also could have gone inside and called the police. Or tossed them the keys.

Putting aside morals and law, the economic impact to this man of hiring attorneys, having to move due to public outcry and antifa protests, etc will surely exceed the deductible on the Audi.
    Sorry, wrong question.

Not what our country was built on.

Steal a man's horse, you were hung.

So the real question, Why have we stopped hanging a man (or a dumbass boy) for stealing a man's ride?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    In this story, 5 criminals tried to steal a car. The homeowner shot one of the thieves. His accomplices are being charged with his murder.

It’s easy to say “fuck em” but I agree with the author of the article to an extent. I think the thieves should be charged with attempting to steal a car and any other crimes they may have actually committed. I think the homeowner was justified in his actions. I do not think the others thieves should be charged with murder however. I am not a fan of charging people with crimes they did not commit.

What do you say?

https://www.newser.com/story/279176/...nt-commit.html

Homeowner Shoots Teen, but Murder Charges Go Elsewhere

5 teens charged because police say they were committing a burglary at time of shooting

Five Illinois teens are charged as adults with first-degree murder in the shooting death of a 14-year-old—despite not touching the trigger. The deceased was fatally shot in the head by a homeowner in Old Mill Creek who described an attempt to steal a 2011 Audi from his driveway around 1:15am Tuesday, reports ABC News. According to police, the 75-year-old homeowner told the suspects to leave, then fired at least three shots from his porch as two individuals approached, one with "something in his hand." All suspects took off in a 2015 Lexus SUV reported stolen two days earlier, leaving behind a knife, before encountering officers three miles away, police say, per NBC Chicago. A 17-year-old "calling for help" was arrested, while the 14-year-old was whisked to a hospital where he died. The remaining suspects allegedly led police on a chase until the SUV ran out of gas.

Those suspects were detained after a brief foot chase, police say. A 16-year-old, three 17-year-olds, and 18-year-old Diamond Davis—each from Chicago and held on a $1 million bond—are now charged with first-degree murder as they were "in commission of a forcible felony" when their friend was shot, according to the Lake County Sheriff's Office. In Illinois, a person can be charged with murder if a death occurs during the commission of a serious crime, even if there is no intent to kill. But at least one person wants that to change. "This provision, known as the felony murder rule, is unjust" and "downright shameful" when applied to children, writes Chicago Tribune columnist Dahleen Glanton. If the suspects did intend to commit a burglary, they "deserve to be held accountable," she says, not "charged with a murder they did not commit." (Read more first-degree murder stories.)
    It's the law. They are guilty as sin. And three 17 year olds and an 18 year old are not "children".
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; August 17th, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

(Indiana County)

Here in the Commonwealth it's 2nd Degree Murder. Had the pleasure of sitting on a jury trial for one such case. Bozo didn't do the deed, wasn't even in the building when it occurred, but was part of the crew that went to collect a drug debt. We jurors had no choice but to find him guilty.

(Luzerne County)

I cant help but think that if they were not stopped there, they might have gone to rob someone else. That person might have ended up dead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234