Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Orange in stand?

I've been using blinds for a few years during archery deer. I know blinds require orange band on a near by tree, but what about tree stands? It hasn't been an issue for me before because when in my stand I had orange for firearm season. This year I'm planning on being in the tree so trying to figure out if I need the orange band up there.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Orange in stand?

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    I've been using blinds for a few years during archery deer. I know blinds require orange band on a near by tree, but what about tree stands? It hasn't been an issue for me before because when in my stand I had orange for firearm season. This year I'm planning on being in the tree so trying to figure out if I need the orange band up there.
    http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingt...equiremen.html

(Chester County)

Per that I guess my misunderstanding was that the band isnt even required for blinds in archery season. I thought it was just having a blind and didn't see the "in firearms season" part. So I'm fine without one during archery in my stand.

(Bucks County)

It's really not a bad idea to do, especially in State Gamelands. There really are some dangerous idiots out there.

I don't think it's really necessary for archery though, unless you have a lot of front platers with crossbows in the area.

(Montgomery County)

On gamelands I dress up like the Great Pumpkin.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I won't even go to Wexford. Largest group of idiots I've seen in one place...the range there is even more dangerous.

(Carbon County)

I would think twice about no orange. Anywhere. A lot of the bow season overlaps a gun hunting season. It is not so much the "Idiots out there", as the idiots being shot at. For years I have known that "Educated " deer can pick out orange under certain circumstances, but is going without orange worth that deer? A few years ago there was a guy shot and killed in this area during deer rifle season. It started to rain and he rigged up a tarp over himself. Another hunter shot at deer moving through and never had any indication of him under that tarp. I have caught "Idiots" numerous times without orange on. One year in WV we caught a guy in one of those ghillie suits. Even with full orange on, I still put something orange above me if I sit in a blowdown or log pile. Most accidents are not "I thought it was a deer", but in the line of fire.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Amen to that!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

If I had a nickel for every deer I shot while wearing a ton of orange , a Marlboro sticking out of my face and a coffee in my hand .....I wouldn't be rich but I'd certainly have a shit load of nickels.
    I even stopped taking off my orange while turkey hunting ...... much to the dismay of all those who thought turkey hunting was some great magical ritual that couldn't be hunted if you even had orange back at home in the closet.

(Carbon County)

I really agree with that. I have been within 15 feet of a flock of turkeys that were using a trail past me. Sitting in full orange deer hunting. I had three doe step over a log(Walking) I was sitting on with a steaming cup of coffee on the log and a lit Marlboro in my hand and in full orange. But, an educated deer will pick out orange on an overcast day or if you sit in front of dark stuff like a hemlock or dark rocks. Deer seem totally blind to orange in snow. It seems it is more where you sit than the orange itself. Whatever your choice, it is stupid not to wear plenty of it, and not some dirty, tiny vest that is barely legal.
    Last edited by Gunplummer; August 24th, 2019 at 01:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast