Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosin sacrilege

(Washington County)

Default Mosin sacrilege

A few years back I picked up a mosin m38 carbine from a gun show. I have greatly enjoyed it, but I have always had this urge that I keep suppressing, but it keeps returning. It's the urge to permaneantly modify the rifle in order to install a PU scope.

Would this be as bad as my conscience tell me? To modify this milsurp rifle? I really like shooting it, and I would like to know what its true capabilities are at 100+ yards. Obviously, a little magnification would help.

Does anyone know what a fair price is on a legitimate Russian PU scope and mount? Are there any obstacles I am not considering, besides swapping in a bent bolt, tapping the receiver, and modifying the stock?

Thoughts appreciated. Either talk me down from the ledge or give me a shove.

Default Re: Mosin sacrilege

Your rifle but M38’s have always been more hard to come by. I believe they were last imported in small numbers was 2011/12.

An original PU or SVT scope, base and mount in decent serviceable shape will run between $350.00 and $450.00. Just know that the base needs to be hand fitted to the mount in order to get a proper repeatable zero. If you can find someone selling a set of all three that are matching it’s the way to go, but I’m sure you will pay a premium.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scop...inal-wwii.html

I would go with quality new production Russian hardware. Going through all the time and money for a old subpar scope doesn’t make much sense to me.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scop...in-nagant.html
    Last edited by Hodgie; August 13th, 2019 at 12:09 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Spend several hundred dollars to modify a rifle so that it's value is less than it currently is? Genius.

There are a ton of butchered mosins out there already, go pick up one of them to put a scope on. It's "true capabilities" at 100 yards will be 4 or 5 inch groups, if you're lucky. You could go buy any of the current budget rifles, and a scope, spend less money and get something that shoots groups less than a quarter of the size.

(Lackawanna County)

I get where the OP is coming from- WWII sniper rifles are kewl

I wouldn't chop up the M38 however, because like Hodgie said they're much less common. Like Raxar suggested i would find an inexpensive M91-30 (which is the rifle the actual snipers used anyway) and mount the scope to that. I think that would be a neat rifle and not lose too much value- heck on the cheaper 91-30 you may keep or slightly increase the value. I know i would pay more for a nicely done "sniper tribute" than a standard-issue if I wanted a sniper-rifle.

In my experience, my own 91-30's "true capability" is being a Grade-A smasher of right shoulders as well as a fun rifle at the range
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Wayne County)

No, don't bubba that. Get a scout mount like the S&K, a good scope and load some 174gr matchkings over a healthy dose of Varget if you want to get it out of the old system.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    I get where the OP is coming from- WWII sniper rifles are kewl

I wouldn't chop up the M38 however, because like Hodgie said they're much less common. Like Raxar suggested i would find an inexpensive M91-30 (which is the rifle the actual snipers used anyway) and mount the scope to that. I think that would be a neat rifle and not lose too much value- heck on the cheaper 91-30 you may keep or slightly increase the value. I know i would pay more for a nicely done "sniper tribute" than a standard-issue if I wanted a sniper-rifle.

In my experience, my own 91-30's "true capability" is being a Grade-A smasher of right shoulders as well as a fun rifle at the range
    Or you can look for a real designated 91/30 PU rifle and scope.

I might know a guy who has an extra with a real pristine barrel and the matching scope.
    Last edited by Hodgie; August 13th, 2019 at 06:26 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    No, don't bubba that. Get a scout mount like the S&K, a good scope and load some 174gr matchkings over a healthy dose of Varget if you want to get it out of the old system.
    What he just said! Or sell your M-38 Mosim and get a real sniper.

For the money you'd get for that unmolested M-38 plus what you'd have to put in it to add the scope and PU set up you'd be able to afford one of the many 91-30 Snipers out there. Classic just sold a batch of 91-30 rifles that the Ukrainians set up as sniper rifles. Asking price set up with mount, bent bolt and threaded muzzle was only $400.

(Dauphin County)

You could do like the guys I saw at the range a few weeks ago with a side-mounted scope Mosin. It was side mounted by wrapping with duct tape a few times around the scope and stock. I shit you not.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    What he just said! Or sell your M-38 Mosim and get a real sniper.

For the money you'd get for that unmolested M-38 plus what you'd have to put in it to add the scope and PU set up you'd be able to afford one of the many 91-30 Snipers out there. Classic just sold a batch of 91-30 rifles that the Ukrainians set up as sniper rifles. Asking price set up with mount, bent bolt and threaded muzzle was only $400.
    Just to be clear those Classic “sniper” rifles were not true designed rifles to be converted. They are just standard 91/30’s drilled and tapped with reproduction mounts, bases and optics. Good chance it’s all Chinese stuff too like Century used to use.

I’m sure half of them will end up on gun broker listed as legit Ukrainian sniper rifles with hopes of $1K plus from a uneducated buyer.

A scoped/bubbad M38 was just listed on Pennswoods a day or so ago

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast