Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Default Re: New Zealand buyback

2019?

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    how can they "buy back" something they never sold?
    ironically, at gunpoint.
    (i understand what your saying though)
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs down Re: New Zealand buyback

Just found this one: https://www.rightminds.nz/articles/m...r-action-rifle

My House Was Raided Over A .22LR Lever Action Rifle

On Thursday evening, I was just finishing up dinner with my two oldest kids. My wife was feeling unwell and feeding our four-week old baby in bed. I had just gotten the icecream out for the kids when the doorbell rang.

I opened the door to see a number of police officers outside. They served me with a search warrant under Section 6 of the Search and Surveillance Act 2012. Half a dozen armed police officers swarmed in the front door (holstered sidearms only) as several more ran around the sides of the house. They later called for more backup as the house was larger than your average state-house drug lab. I got the impression that they'd never had to raid a middle-class suburban house like mine before. Everyone on the property was detained, read their rights, and questioned separately. I opted to call a lawyer who advised me to refuse to answer any questions.

The warrant claimed they had reason to believe I was in possession of a prohibited magazine fitted to a ".22RL lever action rifle. Blued metal, brown wooden stock." The officer told me I had posted about it online, which I had—in my public written submission against the Firearms Amendment Act passed last year. That submission was shared on several blogs and social media. I had used the firearm as an example to prove the legislation was not targeting "military style assault weapons" as the media, prime minister, and her cabinet repeated ad nauseum. The vast majority of firearms affected by the legislation were just like mine.

I thought nothing more of my little example to the select committee. It was no longer in my possession when the police raided my house. They departed empty-handed after turning the place inside out for ninety minutes, and left me with my firearms and a visibly shaken wife who broke down in tears. Thankfully, the kids didn't quite get what was going on—but I realised after that they had gone to bed without icecream.

I've been vocal about the amnesty being a disaster, and the police were rather open about the failure of the whole process. Maybe if they stopped raiding innocent people's houses there might have been some more good will? They implied that they'd keep having to raid the houses of people I knew until the firearm turned up. This is for an A-Category firearm, which I have no reason to believe is fitted with a prohibited magazine! Are these the kind of intimidation tactics now the norm in New Zealand? Are we going to accept this in a first-world democracy?

This is for a lever-action .22LR that's designed to hit paper or be used to hunt bunnies. What happened to going after the "weapons designed to kill people" as the police minister Stuart Nash has claimed?

The implications of this are rather stunning. I took the photo and publicised the details about this firearm as part of the select committee process. This good-faith evidence was used by the police as a justification for their raid. Do we now live in a country where public evidence given to a select committee will be used against you to suit the political purposes of the police?

Anyone who's publicly talked about or posted a picture of their grandfather's little .22LR pump/lever action can get raided, as these rifles all had 10+ capacity prior to the draconian new rules. Admitting you had one a year ago is reason enough to warrant a raid on your property today.

I suppose it's no coincidence that I pointed out in an article last month just how bad the numbers are when it comes to compliance. When I said that New Zealand gun owners aren't "rolling over for anybody", this is not quite what I had in mind—again, why raid the guy publicly pointing out the truth?

I've been vocal about my opposition to many of this government's policies. I live a very conservative life and hold traditional conservative views which I am public about. I've never promoted non-compliance and was rather shocked by how low the numbers really were. This left me wondering: was this a politically motivated action by someone high-up in the bureaucracy ordered to make examples?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Tioga County)

As I predicted they would make an example out of key people.

Plus the gangs are loving it, as expected. Black market prices have shot up.

This just shows you that law enforcement will always comply with these types of laws.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    As I predicted they would make an example out of key people.
    Can you expand on that? What is Law Enforcement doing to otherwise law abiding people? How are they identifying the "key people" to punish? What punishments? How are these people "key people"?

Plus the gangs are loving it, as expected. Black market prices have shot up.
    Well, yeah, that's a given.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Can you expand on that? What is Law Enforcement doing to otherwise law abiding people? How are they identifying the "key people" to punish? What punishments? How are these people "key people"?
    They identified a dissenter (a person who pointed out the absurdity of a lever action squirrel gun being classified as an assault weapon) who ridiculed the law before it took affect. They raided his house in search of a gun that was once legal, only to become illegal through the new law, and then to find that he had actually COMPLIED with the law and turned it in already.

They had no evidence of him owning an illegal gun except for his published dissent (prior to the law taking affect) and just ASSumed he was in non-compliance and raided his house.

*thread derail: I took my first flight lesson on Wednesday.... 1.4 hours in a C150. Not sure I'll continue due to my "sport pilot" limitation and lack of proper aircraft to rent in this area, but it sure was fun!

(Philadelphia County)

http://https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/2/20/new-zealand-gun-buyback-gets-ugly-targets-historic-arms/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_camp aign=0320

New Zealand’s gun control debate didn’t end with the Dec. 20, 2019, deadline to surrender firearms affected by the nation’s newly enacted Firearms Amendment Act. While officials continue to refute claims the personal information of gun owners was compromised, there have been other developments.

In January 2020, law enforcement served a warrant and searched a house for a lever-action .22 Long Rifle rifle photographed by the homeowner—an image included in his statement opposing the program before it became law. His wife and two young children were at home when police arrived, detained and questioned separately.

Dieuwe de Boer provided details of the encounter in an article for The BFD, a New Zealand-based website that, in its own words, brings readers Brash, Focused and Dedicated news coverage.

“Half a dozen armed police officers swarmed in the front door (holstered sidearms only) as several more ran around the sides of the house,” he wrote. “They later called for more backup as the house was larger than your average state-house drug lab.”

“The warrant claimed they had reason to believe I was in possession of a prohibited magazine fitted to a ‘.22RL lever-action rifle,’” he explained. “The officer told me I had posted about it online, which I had—in my public written submission against the Firearms Amendment Act passed last year. I had used the firearm as an example to prove the legislation was not targeting ‘military-style assault weapons’ as the media, prime minister, and her cabinet repeated ad nauseum.”

The gun was not located, although de Boer indicated officers ominously said they are not giving up the search.

Historic Firearms Lost Forever

Kath Arnold and Andrew Barker collect firearms of historic significance and sentimental value. They surrendered a variety late last year, including lever actions. Fair and Reasonable Campaign, the organization working to save firearm rights in New Zealand, explained in a Feb. 2 press releases that, “Heartlessly, the Police have refused to organise (sic) safekeeping of the historic firearms. That means firearms used by New Zealanders in past wars have now been destroyed forever.”

The pair show some of the guns in a YouTube interview. ““You can’t get that history back now, it’s all bent up,” Arnold said.

More Restrictions and Court

A government committee has finished work on updates to the law, revisions that still require approval by New Zealand’s Parliament. Its language includes a ban on pump-action rifles and shotguns and ammunition restrictions.

Attorneys for Fair and Reasonable Campaign have launched a legal challenge the current law. A court date has been set for May 4, 2020, and is scheduled to continue into the next day.

They're going to mess with the wrong person one day. Hopefully sooner than later.

(Montgomery County)

Is this not the same exact story listed just above carson's post?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast