Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 help

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 1911 help

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Many extractors need tweeking. Especially if ya drop the slide on a chambered round causing it to snap over the rim , bending the extractor. The 1911 extractor was designed for the rim to slide up the breech face and under the hook. Not snap over it.

I've heard Para extractors are investment cast and don't hold up. But dumping on Remington Para's is a popular sport on 1911 forums. My Expert Commander has been flawless so far.
    Has Remington made Para since inception?

(Bucks County)

I am not trying to sound like a dick when I say this. Please understand that. It could be a magazine issue, it could be an extractor if you, it could be a feed ramp issue, it could be a lot of things. It's almost worth it to try to go through it one step at a time with a snap cap or something. I say snap cap, because I'm not a huge fan of just cycling live rounds through a gun willy-nilly. 1911's can be very finicky about a lot of things, ammo included. What kind of ammo are you using? If the answer is white box, stop now.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    I am not trying to sound like a dick when I say this. Please understand that. It could be a magazine issue, it could be an extractor if you, it could be a feed ramp issue, it could be a lot of things. It's almost worth it to try to go through it one step at a time with a snap cap or something. I say snap cap, because I'm not a huge fan of just cycling live rounds through a gun willy-nilly. 1911's can be very finicky about a lot of things, ammo included. What kind of ammo are you using? If the answer is white box, stop now.
    Not a dick at all. It's been all 230 gr FMJ. PMC and American eagle. I have new springs (14, 16, 18)on the way from Mcarbo. I'll make one change at a time. If the spring doesn't help, I'll try something else.

Never had an issue on getting the first round into battery.

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Has Remington made Para since inception?
    No. Para Ordnance originated in Canada. Remingtons parent company , the Freedom Group bought Para while they were buying up all the other gun companies. They dropped the Ordnance from the name , renamed it Para USA , and moved production to NC , then to Alabama , dropped the PARA USA name and now use the Remington brand on their 1911s..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_USA
    Last edited by abner13; August 13th, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I think mine is from the early 90s, if I remember correctly

They all do that, it's totally normal.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Blair County)

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod55220.aspx
    These are the best mags Ive even used, Have great reviews and the peple are really nice. Helped me a lot with a gun I got to get it up and running before I even bought their mags.
    Tripp research Was the T in STI.
    I would buy them directly from the company then start emailing they will help you troubleshoot your gun, sending you pictures with measurements you can try to troubleshoot without sending the gun back in.

(Centre County)

When Remington (read Freedom Group) bought Para Ordnance they did not hire any of the Para engineers or workers. Hell, they didn't even take the parts inventory - they (Remington) sold that to SARCO. I had a customers older Para P10 (Warthog) that needed a new recoil spring/rod assembly so I called Remington to get a new one. Nope, told me they didn't carry Para parts - told me to contact SARCO. SARCO didn't have what I needed, they didn't know if they were going to actually keep an inventory of Para parts other than what they bought. Did some digging and found that a short barrel Kimber recoil assembly looked like it would work so I called Kimber. Described what I needed and they said their part would work. Ordered several as I personally have a Para (original company) Elite Carry and the Kimber parts worked fine.

As for the OP, I think it might be as was said earlier, the recoil spring may have just lost a bit of it's power. You are doing it right though, I step at a time so you can narrow it down without spending more than is needed.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Update.

The 16 lb Wolfe spring seems to have fixed the issue. Just put a hundred rounds through it. The issue did not return.

However, I did get one round that fully seated in the chamber, but the extractor was not seated over the rim.

(Bucks County)

Update.

The colt mag and the new spring seem to be doing the trick. Put 50 each PPU and Geco through it using both the Para mags and the colt mags. Para mag is still not going into battery on the last round. Colt mag is good to go.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12