Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Is the Shield Money Well Spent or Not

Thinking of buying a Shield 2.0 for concealed carry. Currently use a Glock 19. A little bigger than I like, but only an inch thick and 21oz unloaded. I'm wondering if the difference in size is really worth springing for the extra cost. Opinions from those who have used both would be appreciated.
    PS. I'm also leaning toward the thumb safety model; with the safety to only be used for winter pocket carry, no safety on in the summer. Good or not so good idea?

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Is the Shield Money Well Spent or Not

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy T View Post
    Thinking of buying a Shield 2.0 for concealed carry. Currently use a Glock 19. A little bigger than I like, but only an inch thick and 21oz unloaded. I'm wondering if the difference in size is really worth springing for the extra cost. Opinions from those who have used both would be appreciated.
    PS. I'm also leaning toward the thumb safety model; with the safety to only be used for winter pocket carry, no safety on in the summer. Good or not so good idea?
    shields are excellent extremely reliable firearms
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Montgomery County)

Have you seen the new p365 with the manual safety?

(Allegheny County)

My G19 was purchased as a house gun with the idea that I would conceal carry it too.
    It's too big/thick. Clearly others can and do carry them, but not me - not happening.

I picked up a Shield and find it much easier to carry concealed OWB.

And yeah... the Sig 365 would be my choice if I had the money.
    The Shield was $199 after rebate, so that was hard to pass up.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Personally I prefer the Glock, but there is nothing wrong with the Shield and it is smaller, I have both.
    Generally speaking I would discourage putting a manual safety on a double action only carry gun, it increases the possibility of failing to fire under stress.
    If worried about pocket carry it would be better to use a pocket holster that covers the trigger as opposed to a manual safety.
    When carrying in a new configuration, don't forget to train and become accustomed to the new position and draw.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lehigh County)

IMO if you are going to get a gun with a safety, which is a personal preference, you should always use it and make it part of your drill. Trying to use it part of the time (winter) and not the rest could lead to trouble. Keeping a consistent routine and practice as often as you can.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    IMO if you are going to get a gun with a safety, which is a personal preference, you should always use it and make it part of your drill. Trying to use it part of the time (winter) and not the rest could lead to trouble. Keeping a consistent routine and practice as often as you can.
    Yup. My Shield has the safety, but I don't use it. NONE of my other handguns have one other than my 1911 and that's why I won't carry the 1911.

Draw gun. Press trigger. Bang.
    Draw gun. Press trigger... ??? ??? ??? Oh SHIT! I forgot to flick the safety off!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I have the first version of the shield 9mm. I got it for $200 at the same time Emptymag did. I would have had no problem paying $300 plus before they drastically slashed the prices. The guns are reliable, shoot well and you rarely hear anything bad about them.

I have had people ask me for advice for a first gun. When giving them ideas to check out, the shield is always one of the them.

I don’t know your needs or criteria. I have the p365 and have not looked back. But the shield is not a waste of money by any means.

(Allegheny County)

A Shield is my go to carry gun in the summer or when I need to dress up. It practically vanishes IWB with the 7rnd magazine. Probably not going to win any marksmanship awards with it though.

Smile Re: Is the Shield Money Well Spent or Not

GLOCK 43 X ! Superb accuracy and feeds all ammo 9mm.Very Pleased with my new acquisition .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast