Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: If assault rifles are so deadly.....

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Well I won't be so semantically correct. No , they're not really ''assault rifles'' , until they're used as such.

Just like a motor vehicle is not a deadly weapon till someone runs someone else down intentionally. Or beats them with a baseball bat , axe handle , crow bar , etc. Then it becomes an offensive weapon.

In most responsible gun owners hands , they're sporting rifles , target rifles , hunting rifles and plinking rifles.

In the hands of a criminal with deadly intent , then they're most definitely assault rifles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
    They need to add... Leftist and Fudds like to call everything not a bolt action an assault rifle even though they are not.

If a criminal uses a bolt action deer rifle, shotgun or handgun (They have used them all), want them to add them to the assault weapon list?

Last edited by :-); August 15th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
    They need to add... Leftist and Fudds like to call everything not a bolt action an assault rifle even though they are not.

If a criminal uses a bolt action deer rifle, shotgun or handgun (They have used them all), want them to add them to the assault weapon list?

Don't recall who it was , but years ago , one of the big gun-grabbers wanted to ban any rifle "that could accept , or modified to accept a telescope sight'' , because that could make it into a 'sniper rifle'.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Tioga County)

Don't recall who it was , but years ago , one of the big gun-grabbers wanted to ban any rifle "that could accept , or modified to accept a telescope sight'' , because that could make it into a 'sniper rifle'.
    I think that was Sen Kennedy. He also wanted to ban all ammo that could penetrate a police vest.

Note. The type III/IIIA vest will only stop most pistol ammo.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Beaver County)

Sep 24, 2014 · A rifle reportedly used to carry out one of the worst killing sprees in Texas history is up for sale in Dallas by a gun collector. The Remington 700 rifle used by ex-Marine Charles Whitman.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Sep 24, 2014 · A rifle reportedly used to carry out one of the worst killing sprees in Texas history is up for sale in Dallas by a gun collector. The Remington 700 rifle used by ex-Marine Charles Whitman.
    A common, bolt action, hunting rifle. Now classified a "sniper rifle" by Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    A common, bolt action, hunting rifle. Now classified a "sniper rifle" by Democrats.
    Well , many militaries including the US do use the Rem 700 as a sniper rifle.

Well , many militaries including the US do use the Rem 700 as a sniper rifle.
    You mean the very same rifle that many of us use to hunt Deer? I thought they said no one is stopping us from hunting?
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Well I was actually trying to point out that "assault rifles" aren't as deadly as people make them out to be. After reading my original comment I can understand why people might not understand the point I was trying to make.
    Most of us understood your post

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    You mean the very same rifle that many of us use to hunt Deer? I thought they said no one is stopping us from hunting?
    Why does anyone NEED a Remington 700 bolt-action 'sniper' rifle?

Rem 700 hunting rifle = GOOD!
    rem700a.jpg

Rem 700 'sniper' rifle = BAD!
    rem700b.jpg

It's a wrongful comparison, as you must remember the context of which these weapons were used in.

WW1 and WW2 saw massive numbers of soldiers engaged in head-to-head combat. The Somme, Stalingrad, Leningrad, The Meuse-Argonne offensive, etc. placed millions of soldiers fighting each other in prolonged combat. By comparison, many modern wars featuring more modern weapons have tended to be guerilla wars, where hit-and-run fighters try and minimize casualties against much more powerful forces. The soldiers in the former wars would have had a lot more opportunities to kill large numbers of enemy soldiers. One exception of course would be exceptionally skilled guerilla fighters against poorly organized but more powerful opponents, namely Simo Hayha in the Winter War. With the Russian offensive thinned out, bogged down in the winter, and poorly experienced in the Finnish terrain, Simo and other Finnish soldiers could hit-and-run against a huge number of Red Army soldiers. If Simo had a modern rifle, I doubt the results would be much different. A lot of it had to do with his exceptional skill and the climate/combatants/conditions of the war, not the tool which he used alone.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast