Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Application and Address Change

Random question, if one applies for LTCF and then say a couple weeks after words, moves. Is that bad news bears?

I know that after you have LTCF you are supposed to notify address change.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Application and Address Change

You aren't required to notify of address change. It is only a convenience thing so that your renewal notice goes to the right place.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

1. Your LTCF is valid until it expires. Read that again, digest it, please note that there are no qualifiers included. Move wherever you want, somewhere in Pennsylvania, somewhere not in Pennsylvania. It is valid until it expires.

2. There are neither requirements nor provisions for changing one's address on an LTCF. No form exists. You can, if you so desire, notify the issuing authority of your new address, but it's not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    1. Your LTCF is valid until it expires. Read that again, digest it, please note that there are no qualifiers included. Move wherever you want, somewhere in Pennsylvania, somewhere not in Pennsylvania. It is valid until it expires.

2. There are neither requirements nor provisions for changing one's address on an LTCF. No form exists. You can, if you so desire, notify the issuing authority of your new address, but it's not required.
    Would the LTCF remain valid if one were to move to another state and one did not obtain a License to carry if they are offered?

Rick

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Would the LTCF remain valid if one were to move to another state and one did not obtain a License to carry if they are offered?

Rick
    A sheriff would be compelled to revoke a LTCF in such a situation.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Lancaster County)

My assumption was the address was used for some initial background check and if I left it prior to the check it would result in something bad.

Guess I gotta retrain my brain and ditch the paranoid nj aspect
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A sheriff would be compelled to revoke a LTCF in such a situation.
    Possibly, although "compelled" might be a little harsh. How would the sheriff know?

Someone, a Pennsylvania resident, gets an LTCF issued. They subsequently move to Maryland, can't get a license there (no surprise), but move back to Pennsylvania before the license expires. They carry, again, in Pennsylvania with the LTCF. Upon its expiration they go to their county sheriff and "renew" it. In the interim, was their concealed carry legal? There's no record of the LTCF ever having been revoked.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Possibly, although "compelled" might be a little harsh. How would the sheriff know?

Someone, a Pennsylvania resident, gets an LTCF issued. They subsequently move to Maryland, can't get a license there (no surprise), but move back to Pennsylvania before the license expires. They carry, again, in Pennsylvania with the LTCF. Upon its expiration they go to their county sheriff and "renew" it. In the interim, was their concealed carry legal? There's no record of the LTCF ever having been revoked.
    Yes, however, should the sheriff find out that you moved to a new state and didn't procure that state's carry license/permit, if said state issues them - he is required to revoke the LTCF.

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

(Indiana County)

Agreed, if the sheriff finds out.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You aren't required to notify of address change. It is only a convenience thing so that your renewal notice goes to the right place.
    IMO, it's more important in case a revocation occurs - particularly a BS one. The appeal window is terribly small, and one can't appeal an action they are unaware of.

I'd be shocked if 50% of counties actually send out the renewal application, despite it being a statutory mandate. If I had to guess, I'd put the likely number at around 20%.

It's just like "shall issue" for non-residents. To many Sheriffs, even "pro-gun" ones, simply find it too cumbersome to be bound by the law.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast