Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Carry a round in the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    But if you rack a .45 it makes the ladies drop their panties.
    If it's a 1911 you'll have to rack it after every shot.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Perry County)

I have a couple of pocket guns. One will usually be in the pocket of the pants I'm wearing, however, it will sometimes be in the pocket of the pants hanging at the end of the bed. For the last 7 years, I haven't carried with one in the chamber due to my daughter. While I trusted my son implicitly around firearms, she is far sneakier and prone to breaking rules. Because of that and the occasional brain fart where I'd forget to drop it in the lock box next to the bed, I chose this route. The thinking is that up until a year or two ago, she wasn't strong enough to rack the slide. So if she got it and pulled the trigger, there wouldn't be a tragedy.

Now that she's ten, I bought her her first rifle. Once I'm confident that she won't violate basic safety rules, I'll go back to carrying with one in the chamber. It's my preferred method of carry and was how I carried for close to 30 years. It makes the most sense because adding an extra step in a life or death scenario is counterintuitive.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Oh goodie. Dead horse beating time. Whoopie.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I have a couple of pocket guns. One will usually be in the pocket of the pants I'm wearing, however, it will sometimes be in the pocket of the pants hanging at the end of the bed. For the last 7 years, I haven't carried with one in the chamber due to my daughter. While I trusted my son implicitly around firearms, she is far sneakier and prone to breaking rules. Because of that and the occasional brain fart where I'd forget to drop it in the lock box next to the bed, I chose this route. The thinking is that up until a year or two ago, she wasn't strong enough to rack the slide. So if she got it and pulled the trigger, there wouldn't be a tragedy.

Now that she's ten, I bought her her first rifle. Once I'm confident that she won't violate basic safety rules, I'll go back to carrying with one in the chamber. It's my preferred method of carry and was how I carried for close to 30 years. It makes the most sense because adding an extra step in a life or death scenario is counterintuitive.
    You must realize that was a bad plan. Oh well.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You must realize that was a bad plan. Oh well.
    It was a judgement call. I made the determination that it was more likely my daughter would break the rules and mess with my carry gun given the chance than I'd be in a situation where racking the slide was the difference between life and death.

With that said, if I knew I was going to more populated areas, I would carry one of my larger handguns and have one in the chamber. Pocket guns are for around the house and running to the local grocery store.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; August 8th, 2019 at 02:27 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Monroe County)

Only for the very first 2 weeks of carrying and I got comfy with it and the holster was the chamber empty.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12