Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Trey Gowdy willing to give up constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa-sensai View Post
    The context doesn't support that interpretation. “It doesn’t matter if you have a right to a lawyer if you are dead. It doesn’t matter if you have the right to free speech if you are dead. Doesn’t matter if you have the right to keep and bear arms if you are dead." He was clearly saying that those rights are less valuable than being "safe".
    That's not what he said. What he said is that people have a right to life.

He then pointed out that no system of law can insure that people will live.

His arguments seem to imply that gun ownership is important, though he did not say so.

This bugs me a lot...

Trump tweeted that he wanted legislation providing "strong background checks" for gun users, though he has not followed through with comprehensive legislation following prior attacks.
    "We vow to act with urgent resolve," Trump said, speaking from the White House about shootings that left 31 dead. His scripted remarks came after two days of muted response to the shootings.

We already have background checks. We go to the gun store. We furnish ID, filling in bunches of paperwork and then get a Brady Check. The firearm goes from the Dealer's books into our custody.

Absent a gun registry "Universal background checks" are pure nonsense. Does he want a gun registry?

(Bucks County)

The only thing that gun control will do is create 100 million new criminals and/or start a Civil War.. And that is the intent
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

i don't think you'll find more than 20 people out of the whole 537+/- in congress that actually support the second.
    the rest fear what a freed people represent as a threat to their power.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    i don't think you'll find more than 20 people out of the whole 537+/- in congress that actually support the second.
    the rest fear what a freed people represent as a threat to their power.
    I agree, and they are bending to GLOBAL pressure to reduce, and eliminate the gun rights of the law abiding citizens. The U.S. is the last hold out. We are an anomaly on the world stage. I always thought False Flag accusations were Tinfoil Hat material. Now, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa-sensai View Post
    The context doesn't support that interpretation. “It doesn’t matter if you have a right to a lawyer if you are dead. It doesn’t matter if you have the right to free speech if you are dead. Doesn’t matter if you have the right to keep and bear arms if you are dead." He was clearly saying that those rights are less valuable than being "safe".
    That's nice, but the fact is no person who ever lived on this earth can be totally safe. Walking around in thin skinned bodies that will stop functioning when damaged is not conducive to living forever. While I am here in good operating order I want my rights intact Mr. Gowdy - every one of them!
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Chester County)

Ask him. Isn't there a law against and punishable to murder someone? But they did it anyway. Are there plenty of AR's in the underground market? So Mr. Gowdy you can just wipe your ass with you laws.

If you're a Christian, look up MARK 7:15 / Matthew 15:11 ,,,,it's what insides that defiles a person.......so what laws reveals a person's heart?

(Columbia County)

The problem I have with Gowdy’s statement. It appears he is playing a game of verbal judo to where it’s hard to figure out what he really meant.

I’ ll play devil’s advocate and compare a recent statement made by Senator Toomey on potential gun legislation. In this article Toomey addresses his stance on an assault weapons ban:
    https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...-firearms.html

In part it reads:

At the same time, though, Toomey reiterated his opposition to any bans on military style semi automatic weapons, which have been widely used in mass shootings in recent years and have left hundreds of people dead.
    “The category referred to as assault weapons are overwhelmingly very popular firearms that have no more firepower than ordinary hunting rifles,” Toomey said.
    The senator said what distinguishes semi automatic rifles are the color and the fact that they often have special handles. “They are painted black," he said of the assault weapons.
    “There is nothing intrinsically different to that gun that warrants them to be banned,” Toomey said. “I don’t think we are going to make progress if go after categories of very very popular and widely owned firearms.”
    My point is at least Toomey affirmatively stated is opposition to a ban of a class of firearms. Although Gowdy’s statement doesn’t address “assault weapons” ban legislation directly , I get the impression he is referring to such legislation. Furthermore, he implies that he is willing to support said legislation if someone could prove it would work.

With his ambiguous and confusing statement that seems to point to the conclusion that he is open to gun banning legislation, I’m glad he is no longer a member of congress.

Ok. I went back and read the quote more carefully, and I now see the missing sarcasm tag around it.

Not a Gowdy fan, but did not read his statements as anti gun. Quite the opposite.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I agree, and they are bending to GLOBAL pressure to reduce, and eliminate the gun rights of the law abiding citizens. The U.S. is the last hold out. We are an anomaly on the world stage. I always thought False Flag accusations were Tinfoil Hat material. Now, not so much.
    Take the ‘hat’ off. The MSM have the megaphones and you’re being inundated with their liberal propaganda. There are MILLIONS of 2A supporters without megaphones who disagree with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast