Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Are we delusional?

I've was hanging out with friends and said one of them said carrying isn't going to prevent a mass shooting. Those that carry are delusional to think can. The shooter will likely kill or seriously wound you before you can react due to the back that they have an assult rifle and you have a hand gun.

What do you think?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Are we delusional?

It depends on the situation. Out in the open, they would likely be correct. A shooter working his/her way thru a store with displays, shelves, etc. maybe not. The fact they have a semi auto rifle gives them an advantage, but they will be focused on shooting whatever in their line if vision moves. Since he was wearing hearing protection. the chance of not hearing someone coming from behind is high.

I would still try to avoid contact, but...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by L56 View Post
    I've was hanging out with friends and said one of them said carrying isn't going to prevent a mass shooting. Those that carry are delusional to think can. The shooter will likely kill or seriously wound you before you can react due to the back that they have an assult rifle and you have a hand gun.

What do you think?
    so you are saying we shouldn't take precautions because they might not work? ...... got it
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Montgomery County)

One man armed with a handgun in Kenya saved 145 people from 4 Islamic Jihadist terrorists armed with AK47's.
    He did this while the police fumbled around outside and did nothing to save the people that were being systematically slaughtered for Islam.
    Yes, guns save lives.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lancaster County)

Really depends on context.

If all one has is a pocket pistol and lots of distance between the shooter and them... well, prob not wise. If one could flank and sneak up to active shooter, then perhaps.

In my context, my priority and number one mission is getting home to my family and or, getting my family home. Throws another curve ball into the mix.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

If faced with a crazed asshole shooter, I would rather be able to fight back in that situation than cover up my wife and son with my body to protect them.

Check out the link in my signature, there are thousands of examples of people using firearms to defend themselves. A few stopping mass shootings. (The guy in the Texas church shooting and the doctor at Mercy Fitzgerald immediately come to mind, there are plenty of others). In addition there are a lot of articles in the thread where the police say something along the lines of “it would have been much worse if the person did not stop the shooting”.

Think about it, a lot of potential mass shootings are not classified as a mass shooting because someone with a firearm stopped it before it got to that classification.

(Columbia County)

Handguns are not going to be great going against someone armed with a long gun, but it's better than nothing. Body armor could be a problem. However If one spots the shooter before he or she starts firing it could end it before it starts. The shooter doesn't have eyes in the back of his head therefore it possible to attack the shooter from a blind spot. If the shooter starts to take fire from an armed victim he might just flee the scene.
    I rather take my chances being armed than being a sitting duck.

Missing from the equation is what if there are a dozen armed citizens versus just one? One pocket pistol may not stop the threat, but it may create an opening for someone else.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Jefferson County)

Would you rather get into a boxing match with Mike Tyson with your hands tied behind your back or allowed to swing fists?
    Last edited by knight0334; August 5th, 2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your home/vehicle; or just wait for the fire department?

Do you own a first aid kit (and know basic first aid) or, just wait for the ambulance.

Do you insure your property to the maximum or just the minimum, because stuff happens to other people?

How you answer these questions will indicate your willingness to be prepared or unprepared.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast