Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Are we delusional?

It's delusional to not realize that some chance is better than no chance
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    If you watch the video of the Christchurch shooter he fumbles with a magazine, it won't function so he drops it and puts another mag in. There was about a 10-15 second interval that he was unable to make his weapon function. If some pressure had been put on him like shots fired from an unknown direction he might have either dropped the weapon and fled or tried to make his weapon function and fumble even more under the pressure. All time enough to run out of the building or put a knife into his chest.
    I hate to be a negative nancy, but 10-15 seconds is barely enough time for your average person to get their head out of their ass to even start to process the data in front of them, when it's so far outside the realm of the normal for them. I'm not saying it's NOT possible for someone to take positive action, but if the brain has shut down due to situational overload, it takes a bit for the drooling to stop and the thinking to start, nevermind making complex decisions towards fight or flight. Only those who are already "tuned up" for such action will be able to take it, and I'll lay my hopes that many of us are in that state of mind when the time comes.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    So if the opportunity to end s**t would present itself, you would decline? Well truly nobody really knows what they would/could do. We can only prepare and practice so much. I however believe in the average persons’ better angels.

I think the deranged know this and pick defenseless people in rights restricted areas.
    If the stars aligned then yes I'd take the shot. But it'd have to be an absolutely beautiful celestial alignment. As firemanmark pointed out, I wouldn't want to mistake a gung ho civvie for the baddie. Not to mention, again, my FIRST priority is me and mine; stopping and engaging an active shooter target exposes me and them. I'm not a hero; I don't want my name on a plaque or headstone; I'll get myself and my family to safety, then shit and piss my shorts, and puke all over my shirt.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Delaware County)

Nothing is absolute. You may not be able to put out a fire with a fire extinguisher. But if you don’t have one you have no chance. It is about increasing your odds.

(Chester County)

There is a coordinated effort by those who crave complete control to train the population to not resist anything, trust them completely and be a lemming. This is from the same people who told women to resist rape by peeing on their attackers.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Bucks County)

Mass shootings stop when the 2nd gun shows up.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Lackawanna County)

Archie Bunker had the solution to this problem and they laughed at him.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Your friend is probably one of those who thinks he has a better chance tackling the guy when he stops to reload. I had someone say that to me. i asked why not just shoot him when he's reloading? No answer.

I guess it doesn't matter if you are the first one targeted. If that's the case you are done. But if you happen to be on his flanks when the shooting starts and there is cover such as Walmart shelves then you have a good chance of stopping the threat. I can tell you one thing without a gun you have zero chance of stopping the threat. Here's the thing once shooting has started and there is mass confusion others might see you as a threat or an accomplice if you pull out a gun. Everything depends on the situation but I would definitely not draw my gun to a low ready position just because I hear gunshots inside Walmart. But if I had my chance to take out a psycho with a gun I would draw and immediately fire I suppose. I will be sure to re holster my weapon immediately.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

A long time ago my elementary school teacher’s wife and child were saved from certain death because they were NOT wearing seat belts. I guess by your friends logic, no one should wear seat belts...

Having a LTCF has taught me to be situationally aware of my surroundings. Even when I’m not carrying (in MD), I am more aware and always have at least one escape route planned. Maybe having a gun won’t save me or my family, but I would rather have a chance.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456