Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Looking for Marlin 336 gunsmiths

I have a marlin 336rc in 35 rem. It was made in 1963 I am looking to have the trigger pull lightened. I don’t know if I want to go the happy trigger way because of the safety issues I read in some reviews. So I was thinking of having a gunsmith do some work to keep the rifle close to original. I was wondering if there are any good gunsmiths in my area around Easton or stroudsburg pa.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Looking for Marlin 336 gunsmiths

I can't help with the gunsmith since i'm not near you, but I wonder if a complete detail strip and cleaning would help you? Guns that old are often gunked up with old rem oil, and everything gets sticky. I have several older marlins, and have never felt the need to have trigger work done. They all have pretty good triggers. Just my two cents, good luck with it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    I wonder if a complete detail strip and cleaning would help you? Guns that old are often gunked up with old rem oil, and everything gets sticky. I have several older marlins, and have never felt the need to have trigger work done. They all have pretty good triggers. Just my two cents, good luck with it.
    I could do this for you. But yea, mine is pretty light already.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

I will tear it down and try that to see. I picked it up last year and sighted it in and took a deer with it, but the trigger is really heavy. Maybe all it needs is a cleaning.

(Northampton County)

Well I tore it all down and cleaned it really good and then took some 800 grit wet/dry paper and some oil and polished some parts. As far as I can tell it really helped, just have to get to the range now.

(Monroe County)

Sweet.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Butler County)

Good deal.

(Bucks County)

I may be all wet on this assumption, but I suspect that lever-action deer rifles are purchased, a box or two of ammo is acquired, the rifle gets sighted in using maybe a box of 20 or less, then gets carried in the woods for a few days, gets cleaned and goes into storage until next deer season. Next deer season maybe a shot to make sure it is still zeroed, carried a few days, cleaned and stored until next year.

In other words, they are not target rifles and as such, never get broken in like rifles that are fired more. By broken in, I mean mating parts don't get the chance to polish each other. The 800 wet-or-dry with oil under those conditions is probably a good idea.

BTW, tooth paste contains polishing media. Placing a bit of toothpaste on interacting parts, called the 25-cents trigger job, is another way of polishing, without altering physical sizes and tolerances and breaking through surface hardness.

ETA; Forgot to say, don't leave the toothpaste on permanently, of course.
    Last edited by Bang; August 6th, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.