Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Three More NRA Board Members Resign

According to this article three more NRA board members resigned

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...cL&ocid=HPCDHP

Three National Rifle Association board members who have raised concerns about reports of reckless spending and mismanagement by the group’s leadership resigned Thursday, another sign of mounting dissent within the nation’s most powerful gun-rights group.

Daniel Acker/Bloomberg An image of NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre hangs above a registration desk ahead of the NRA’s annual meeting in Indianapolis in April.
    The three board members — Esther Schneider of Texas, Sean Maloney of Ohio and Timothy Knight of Tennessee — said they were stripped of their committee assignments after they asked questions about allegations of lavish spending by NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre and other financial excesses.
    “While our belief in the NRA’s mission remains as strong today as ever, our confidence in the NRA’s leadership has been shattered,” they wrote in a letter to NRA officials Thursday obtained by The Washington Post.

NRA officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
    The three members represent a small share of the NRA’s 76-member board. But their resignations are the latest in a series of dramatic upheavals at the organization. In recent months, NRA President Oliver North was ousted after raising concerns about the group’s finances and top lobbyist Christopher W. Cox resigned after he was accused of participating in an alleged extortion scheme to push out LaPierre.

Before North was forced out, he said the NRA’s outside attorney reaped “extraordinary” legal fees that totaled millions of dollars in the past year. NRA officials have said that figure was inaccurate and have repeatedly defended the group’s spending as responsible.
    The NRA is also contending with multiple investigations , as both the District’s attorney general and the New York Attorney General have demanded financial records from the nonprofit and its charitable foundation,

Former U.S. Rep. Allen B. West, who was the first board member to call for LaPierre's resignation, said in an interview he was remaining on the board. However, he said he would not be attending the next board meeting in September, which is set to be held in Anchorage, Alaska. “I think that’s a waste of money,” West said.
    West said that "the membership of the National Rifle Association deserves better when it comes to fiscal responsibility because they donate their hard-earned dollars, $25 or $50 at a time, for the protection of the Second Amendment, not the protection of the cabal of cronyism.”

In their letter, Schneider, Maloney and Knight said they have sought information from NRA leaders as part of their oversight responsibilities as board members, “only to be rebuffed at every turn.”
    “We had expected – or at least hoped— that the executive leadership team would recognize the seriousness of these allegations and work with us in a constructive and transparent manner to address our concerns and minimize any further harm to the Association,” they wrote. “Instead, we have been stonewalled, accused of disloyalty, stripped of committee assignments and denied effective counsel necessary to properly discharge our responsibilities as Board members.”

Other board members have risen to the defense of LaPierre and the current leadership.
    Board member Marion Hammer, who lobbies on behalf of the NRA in Florida wrote in an email to other NRA directors last month that committee assignments are the prerogative of the president.
    “Those who didn’t get an assignment might want to consider whether or not they want to help us save the Second Amendment or continue on a course detrimental to NRA and our mission," she wrote.
    Still, calls for LaPierre's resignation have been building from NRA stalwarts popular on YouTube and talk radio, as well as rank-and-file members who have been fuming on social media. Some longtime members formed a nonprofit called Save the Second that is seeking to overhaul the NRA by shrinking the 76-member board, imposing term limits and setting minimum attendance requirements.

Resistance is also building among donors. Randy Luth, a Minnesota-based firearms executive, said he has nixed plans to donate part of his estate -- a seven-figure value -- to the NRA. He has also canceled plans to match a previous donation of $50,000 and ceased advertising in NRA publications.
    “I’m not one of the biggest donors but I am a donor, and until Wayne LaPierre and his cronies are removed or retired, I am suspending my donations,” he said. “All these stories of extravagant spending -- it shouldn’t happen at any nonprofit, let alone the NRA.”

Meanwhile, the NRA is also enmeshed in a lawsuit with New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D), who issued a directive last year urging insurance and financial services companies to review their relationships with the organization. It came after a state investigation found the NRA’s “Carry Guard” insurance product to be illegal under New York law.
    Scrutiny of the organization has also increased on Capitol Hill. Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) has been investigating the organization’s finances and ties to Russia.

At the same time, the NRA is contending with the loss of Cox, who had led the organization’s political and lobbying arm since 2002 and was considered one of its most effective and high-profile leaders. The political arm spent more than $30 million to help elect President Trump.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Three More NRA Board Members Resign

It’s really starting to look like lapierre is hiding a lot more than some suits

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    It’s really starting to look like lapierre is hiding a lot more than some suits
    It looks like he got his cronies on the board that are backing him up.

(Berks County)

I just received and deleted an email from Wayne Lapew, I have no idea what it said.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I just received and deleted an email from Wayne Lapew, I have no idea what it said.

Are usually say Chuck and Nancy want your guns so send me money

(Columbia County)

About three weeks ago a got a phone call where the number did not come up via caller ID. I was expecting a phone call that day from a local business therefore I answered it suspecting it was them. It was a call service calling on behalf of the NRA. I hung up immediately.

About five years ago I put myself on the NRA’s no solicitation list and never got a phone call from them since, until the aforementioned one. I could only assume they were begging for donations.
    For now I’ll maintain a membership in hopes of the NRA makes some serious changes but until then I’ll hold off on any donations /divert them to another pro gun organization.

(Delaware County)

The screws need to be turned against that POS WLP every day...force his corrupt troupe out.

(Berks County)

I've taken two (2) calls from their solicitors within the last month. I listen to them long enough to ensure it's them and I cut them off. I tell them not to call back until Wayne Lapew is gone. Obviously one of them didn't get the message. I'd rather give them that message than just hang up on them.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Cue the resident shill who will say that the nra is the only game in town.
    They've done so much for gun rights, what with the gca of 68, the assault weapons ban, bump stocks etc.
    What else are they going to do to..er for us?
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Columbia County)

I've taken two (2) calls from their solicitors within the last month. I listen to them long enough to ensure it's them and I cut them off. I tell them not to call back until Wayne Lapew is gone. Obviously one of them didn't get the message. I'd rather give them that message than just hang up on them.
    If the people calling were official employees of the NRA it might get the message through. However I suspect the NRA hired a call center to call on their behalf. Therefore the person that called me or you couldn't care less either way. Today that same person might be calling others on behalf of SIrius XM radio, Dish Network, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast