Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: primers

Default primers

I loaded 50 44 mag brass with magnum pistol primers will they work over 22 grains of imr 4227 or should I dump them and use regular primers

(Bucks County)

Default Re: primers

I didn't bother to look up max loads (and you didn't mention what the bullet weighs so it would be pointless). But generally you can use mag primers for all loads if you reduce the charge and work up. Mag primers work best with slower powders.

If you went straight to the max load and used a mag primer (or any primer) you should pull them and start over. Slowly work up and don't load 50 first try.

o sorry they will 240 grain bullet and the max load says 23.5 grains imr 4227

(Bucks County)

IMR 4227 usually doesn't need a mag primer but for a full power 44 mag load it might be the best choice. You are enough under the max load so I don't think you will blow up (famous last words) and the load is probably fine. You might even be able to push it slightly.

But don't take my word for it. Learn how to read pressure signs and work your load up. And I only load max loads with a chrony to get a reality check. If you have more cases instead of pulling the rounds you already made I would start at 19 grains 4227 then load 20 and 21 grains. At least 5 of each. Check each load for pressure and accuracy. If everything seems fine (and you can still shoot without flinching) then try your 22 grain load.

I you need more of a kick after 22 grains keep working up to max. But go to smaller 0.5 grain increases and even smaller increases as you approach 23.5. If you have any doubts about pressure stop shooting and pull the hotter bullets.

I don't know for sure, but I personally wouldn't worry about it. You are still 1.5 gr under max. Especially if it's a Super Redhawk.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    IMR 4227 usually doesn't need a mag primer but for a full power 44 mag load it might be the best choice. You are enough under the max load so I don't think you will blow up (famous last words) and the load is probably fine. You might even be able to push it slightly.

But don't take my word for it. Learn how to read pressure signs and work your load up. And I only load max loads with a chrony to get a reality check. If you have more cases instead of pulling the rounds you already made I would start at 19 grains 4227 then load 20 and 21 grains. At least 5 of each. Check each load for pressure and accuracy. If everything seems fine (and you can still shoot without flinching) then try your 22 grain load.

I you need more of a kick after 22 grains keep working up to max. But go to smaller 0.5 grain increases and even smaller increases as you approach 23.5. If you have any doubts about pressure stop shooting and pull the hotter bullets.
    Pressure signs are for rifle calibers. By the time they show up in pistol calibers you are in very dangerous territory. Use a chronograph and when charge increase and velocity increase stop going up the same , you are maxed.

Cite : The Big Fat Book of 45
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

I've reloaded the 44mag in handguns and rifles for about 29 yrs.
    Mostly use 2400 and once in a while something else ............ I have never used a mag primer for any of the loads

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Pressure signs are for rifle calibers. By the time they show up in pistol calibers you are in very dangerous territory. Use a chronograph and when charge increase and velocity increase stop going up the same , you are maxed.

Cite : The Big Fat Book of 45
    I agree its best to work up with a Chrony. Takes all of the guess work out. I have even worked up some loads that are well over the modern book loads. Velocity is in spec the burn rate is perfect so I have been shooting them for years.

But you can easily see pressure signs in handguns. Pistol primers are thinner and if they are flattened edge to edge you start to worry. And when they start to crater be even more careful. In a revolver you have the added benefit of feeling difficulty with extraction. If the cylinder walls are not trashed you should be able to pop out even the heaviest load with you fingernail.