Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Places to get archery practice in?

So I've been dabbling in and out of archery for the past year (with a compound bow). A few months ago I decided to try to learn it more seriously. I ended getting a little bit of formal instruction (not much), a new bow, and have been trying to practice as frequently as possible.

After I got the instruction, I initially was shooting worse for a bit (whatever I did before was wrong, but I adapted to doing things wrong), but I quickly started getting better. Tried to practice at least once, if not twice a week. 20 became super easy, 30 and 40 were doable, but I still had some flyers here or there. Something that more work would fix.

I hadn't got to practice for the past 2 weeks, mainly due to my schedule. So I got out this past weekend (finally), and it was a disaster. 30 was terrible, and I even had troubles at 20.

It's just really tough to get practice in. I don't have a back yard, and currently practice at my club. Which is OK on the weekends, but weekdays are basically impossible, since it's a 40 minute drive with good traffic. All the clubs near me are closed to new membership. And while there are some indoor archery ranges, they're mostly 20 yards (and can still be a decent drive). That, and, while feedback from others is a good thing, sometimes I just want to shoot by myself and reflect upon what I did right and wrong.

Can I practice on the game lands, even if there's not a formal range? There's one really close to me (~10-15 minutes), but it doesn't have an archery range. If so, what would you guys consider a safe enough backstop? Just a tree stump? Downwards elevation? Or a full blown hillside? It'd just be nice to get in after work just to get a little bit of tune up after work before the weekend. There's plenty of things still to do before I'm ready for this fall (3D target, shooting out of my saddle at height, etc), and time is moving fast.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Places to get archery practice in?

Have you found a place to shoot since you first posted? I’m not sure where you’re from other than the PGH area. In Oakdale is a place called Archer’s Edge. They have an indoor range and a video screen “game” called techno hunt that is very fun. I read that you’d rather shoot by yourself and reflect on what went right or wrong. That’s good as long as you KNOW how your form and stance should feel. That’s where your misses usually come from besides fatigue. If you have a shooting buddy join you once in a while it’ll help you keep your form in check.

Look at your commute to work. Is there a farm that is on the way to and from your work? There’s nothing wrong with stopping and asking the land owner for permission to set up a target and shoot. Be honest with him and don’t ask him to hunt on their property. That can come later after you get to know them a little more.

Good luck with archery. It’s an addicting hobby.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    Have you found a place to shoot since you first posted? I’m not sure where you’re from other than the PGH area. In Oakdale is a place called Archer’s Edge. They have an indoor range and a video screen “game” called techno hunt that is very fun. I read that you’d rather shoot by yourself and reflect on what went right or wrong. That’s good as long as you KNOW how your form and stance should feel. That’s where your misses usually come from besides fatigue. If you have a shooting buddy join you once in a while it’ll help you keep your form in check.

Look at your commute to work. Is there a farm that is on the way to and from your work? There’s nothing wrong with stopping and asking the land owner for permission to set up a target and shoot. Be honest with him and don’t ask him to hunt on their property. That can come later after you get to know them a little more.

Good luck with archery. It’s an addicting hobby.
    Yep, got my bow from them, and my first lessons too.

I've settled to just practicing all weekend long. Makes me do all of my chores on weekdays.

(Lancaster County)

I practice in my backyard.

Being good friends with your neighbor means I can stretch it to 50-60 yards if I want to.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem