Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New York, New York
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    I've heard many counties in PA won't issue LTCF's to residents who don't possess a valid PA Driver's License. I am sure many people who possess DLs from other states but own property in PA apply for non-resident LTCFs instead. Is there any concern that a person who owns property or maintains a residence in PA should not be carrying on a non-resident LTCF?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Eastern, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    12058992

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    If you are a resident of PA, aka have a PA driver's license, you need a resident LTCF

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    18,801
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    There is no such thing as a non-resident or a resident LTCF in PA. There is only a LTCF, which non-residents having (1) extra criteria for issuance - having their home state carry license/permit to be eligible for the LTCF. There is only one state that doesn't have a license/permit scheme, and that is the only state exempt of that criteria - Vermont. Property ownership is not a factor in LTCF issuance.

    Some sheriffs wont issue to non-residents, because the sheriffs are dicks, or anti-gun, or some other bullshit. The law says "shall issue" regardless of residency. On top of that, some sheriffs will not issue to those with restricted licenses/permits in their home state.

    There are known friendly counties: Erie, Crawford, Mercer, Venango, McKean, Jefferson, Centre, Lackawanna, and Berks. There are others, but I'm not sure which ones they are.

    As for PA residents carrying in PA on licenses/permits from other states - they cannot do that anymore. That was stopped with a PA Superior Court ruling. PA residents MUST have a LTCF. A PA drivers license/photo ID is prima facie evidence of residency. If you are truly a PA resident, operating a vehicle with another state's DL - well, you would be violating state law after so many days(15?) after establishing residency. Now, there are certain exceptions for part-time residents, and the only true dual residents(college students and some military).

    If a person had acquired a LTCF as a non-resident, their LTCF is still valid if/when they move to PA. They would just have to renew at the sheriffs office in which they now reside.
    Last edited by knight0334; July 29th, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,587
    Rep Power
    21474856

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    You're either a resident or you're not, which is it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    3,641
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    I am confused by the responses here...So let's get the story from the beginning. It sounds to me like the OP is a licensed carrier in NY and a NY resident who has property in PA. It also sounds like he has gotten a LTCF (I thought it was called a non-resident LTCF) by presenting his NY carry permit (whatever they call it up there, God forbid you call it the wrong thing here, castration is in order). And now he wants to know if owning the property in PA will cause problems with his (non-resident) LTCF. IANAL but I cannot see how he would encounter any hardship over it. #1, let's say you get stopped by LE and they want to see your papers. Are they going to see anything that says that you own property in PA? #2, it has been the topic of much discussion as to whether or not and how a two plater could get a LTCF in PA by proving that they owned property in PA and paid taxes on it.
    Where's Hunter?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Power
    4294982

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    Can a person have a Pennsylvania issued ID card that is not a driver's license and a driver's license from their state of primary residence?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    6,229
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Can a person have a Pennsylvania issued ID card that is not a driver's license and a driver's license from their state of primary residence?

    No, because one must show actual residency in PA to get either a DL or ID.


    ... and it's 60 days after a becoming a resident that one must obtain a PA DL.

    http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ub%20195us.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New York, New York
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    As for PA residents carrying in PA on licenses/permits from other states - they cannot do that anymore. That was stopped with a PA Superior Court ruling. PA residents MUST have a LTCF. A PA drivers license/photo ID is prima facie evidence of residency. If you are truly a PA resident, operating a vehicle with another state's DL - well, you would be violating state law after so many days(15?) after establishing residency. Now, there are certain exceptions for part-time residents, and the only true dual residents(college students and some military).

    If a person had acquired a LTCF as a non-resident, their LTCF is still valid if/when they move to PA. They would just have to renew at the sheriffs office in which they now reside.
    I see, this is the crux of the answer I was looking for an answer for. If the ruling that stated that people in PA can not carry on permits from other states extended to those that had non-resident LTCFs. I know certain state's make this distinction.

    I'm glad to hear that a non-resident LTCF is valid once somebody becomes a resident in PA. I'm hoping law enforcement understands this and won't jam somebody up for having a PA driver's license, along with a different address on their LTCF.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New York, New York
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I am confused by the responses here...So let's get the story from the beginning. It sounds to me like the OP is a licensed carrier in NY and a NY resident who has property in PA. It also sounds like he has gotten a LTCF (I thought it was called a non-resident LTCF) by presenting his NY carry permit (whatever they call it up there, God forbid you call it the wrong thing here, castration is in order). And now he wants to know if owning the property in PA will cause problems with his (non-resident) LTCF. IANAL but I cannot see how he would encounter any hardship over it. #1, let's say you get stopped by LE and they want to see your papers. Are they going to see anything that says that you own property in PA? #2, it has been the topic of much discussion as to whether or not and how a two plater could get a LTCF in PA by proving that they owned property in PA and paid taxes on it.
    Yep this is my case, wondering if my non-resident LTCF is still valid in PA since that home is a residence of mine.

    I've also heard that lawyers on this forum offer services to write letters for people applying for LTCFs where they own property in PA, getting people LTCFs with neither a Pennsylvania driver's licenses nor a corresponding "home-state" carry permit. The latter seems like the more difficult process, but nonetheless if Sheriffs are persuaded by a lawyer's letter, it appears that someone who owns a home in Pennsylvania can apply as either a resident or a non-resident.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    18,801
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Re: Is a non-resident PA LTCF valid if you are a resident of PA?

    Quote Originally Posted by dauphinarms View Post
    I see, this is the crux of the answer I was looking for an answer for. If the ruling that stated that people in PA can not carry on permits from other states extended to those that had non-resident LTCFs. I know certain state's make this distinction.

    I'm glad to hear that a non-resident LTCF is valid once somebody becomes a resident in PA. I'm hoping law enforcement understands this and won't jam somebody up for having a PA driver's license, along with a different address on their LTCF.
    If you move to PA and have a LTCF that was issued to you while you were a resident of another state, you technically are a resident licensee as for matters of 3rd party states. Yes, the old address could bind you up - but when you move to PA you are required by PA law to get your PA drivers license within 15 days(cant remember exact number of days). That DL could be used as proof you are now a resident licensee for matters of reciprocity with 3rd party states.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. VA Resident Applying for Non-Resident LTCF in PA
    By Phobes in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 12th, 2019, 08:15 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 15th, 2016, 11:55 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 7th, 2010, 03:54 PM
  5. will my non-resident LTC still be valid?
    By shooter28 in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops