Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default MPA Mac-11 with Pristol brace?

Hey Troops,
    I have a thorny question.... With the success of pistol braces.... On AR15s, CZs, Aks, MP5s, Et Cetera.... Would this brace
    Be legal on an MPA Mac-11? This seems to me, to finally make the MPA a practical PDW weapon.... Not just a big awkward
    Bullet launcher..... The reason I ask.... I recall reading something incoherent from ATF about brace use, and Over All length..... Does anyone know for sure?

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/fs1913/
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Clinton County)

Default Re: MPA Mac-11 with Pristol brace?

As of now the clarification in regards to the overall length issue with the use of a pistol brace only affects how the gun is measured and when it can become a title 1 firearm other with the addition of a VFG. OAL is measured in it's shortest form, either folded (if it can fold) or brace removed from a buffer tube type extension to the barrel crown. If it can measure over 26" in it's shortest form it can become a title 1 firearm other with the addition of a VFG. If it doesn't meet this length it can only remain as a pistol without a VFG unless it's registered as an AOW. Of course it could also be a SBR or SBS if it's registered as such and then you can add a stock and whatever else you want. This is my understanding and IANAL.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

From the way I currently understand it the brace itself is only an accessory so if it's an AR type pistol you would measure from the buffer tube because it requires the tube for function. In the case of an AK pistol the buffer tube is just an accessory so you do not use it for measurements. In the case of your MAC-11 you should be just fine under the current documentation.

Here's an explanation of it buy a lawyer from PA.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    From the way I currently understand it the brace itself is only an accessory so if it's an AR type pistol you would measure from the buffer tube because it requires the tube for function. In the case of an AK pistol the buffer tube is just an accessory so you do not use it for measurements. In the case of your MAC-11 you should be just fine under the current documentation.

Here's an explanation of it buy a lawyer from PA.

There are AK's and other guns sold on the market currently that ARE measured with a non functionally necessary buffer tube attached though.
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    There are AK's and other guns sold on the market currently that ARE measured with a non functionally necessary buffer tube attached though.
    Only relevant with smoothbores or if you're putting on a vertical foregrip, so in the case of a MAC clone you're good to go as long as you don't put on the foregrip

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Only relevant with smoothbores or if you're putting on a vertical foregrip, so in the case of a MAC clone you're good to go as long as you don't put on the foregrip
    I was just going to say the only ones I see like that for sale are AK style shot guns and it most likely has to do with smooth bores.

These determinations, constant rewrites and rulings are designed to keep the average person scared from doing anything to their firearms period.

(Bucks County)

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the info..... If anyone has one on the cheap I'm looking for one..... I know that SB tactical M1913 is polymer
    And from what I read not the sturdiest thing in the world..... But just the ticket to make these silly thing worth owning!

Thanks!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Bucks County)

Well I picked up an MPA....(on sale at Classic for $350) And it is surprisingly well made and smooth feeling gun.... Even real MACs full auto kinda felt gritty and cheap.... This feels better.... But we will see how it shoots!

Here is the issue.... The MPA 30T defender (semi Mac-11) have a different brace / stock mount then the Cobray..... It has three threaded holes at the base of the receiver but none under it which is how the stormwerkz and US machine gun mount is attached..... And MPA doesn't nmake a 1913 rail that utilizes them.... Just an "L" bracket for mounting an AR15 buffer tube....

I guess I'm SOL.... Unless I can fabricate a mount that I can then mount a rail that I can then mount the SB tactical side folder brace..... Shit nothing is ever easy.... Anyone have a better idea on how I can do this without reinventing the wheel...
    I'll post a couple of pics.... So you can see the issues...

P.S. I did reach out to MPA and they got back to my right away.... But they just have the side folder or AR-15 mount

(Clinton County)

Can you mount one of these? You'd need to drill and tap the rear of the receiver.
    CSS-PIGNOSE-NOBOSS-2.jpg
    https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...ose-noboss.htm
    μολ ν λαβέ

(Bucks County)

Hey thanks for the reply..... That would likely work.... But the SB tactical side folding brace I wanna use, mounts to a rail, not a AR15 buffer tube the new MPA lowers are cast aluminum.... And come drilled and tapped with three holes.... So I gotta figure out how to mount a rail on the back of receiver.... I may just luck out and find a rail that fits.... But I have no idea what size to try...l just gotta find one (hopefully) that ines up....

Thanks!
    Fred
    Last edited by 1096369fred; August 7th, 2019 at 09:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast