Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Can a person with an FFl own magazines in New Jersey over 10 rounds

Sometimes you just have to say No. My noe deceased wife and I had an agreement from the day we got married. No major change unless we both agreed to the change. I think sellin and buying a house couoled with a change of state is a major change. It ought to be mutually agreed.
    USMC 1961 to 1967
    MOS: 0811 Rank at Discharge: Corporal E4

(Montgomery County)

Well thanks for all the input.
    I guess I will leave my hi-cap mags and stuff with my son who llives in PA.
    He actually offered to take my stuff that isn't legal in NJ for me.
    He does have room for my gun cases.
    See onc e the house in PA sells then my wife wants to by a house in Florida.
    She wants to travel between Florida and NJ during the seasons.
    I don't want to keep any firearms down there since it is to far away.
    My family is up here in PA, NJ, and Delaware.

Quote Originally Posted by lraklrak View Post
    Well thanks for all the input.
    I guess I will leave my hi-cap mags and stuff with my son who llives in PA.
    He actually offered to take my stuff that isn't legal in NJ for me.
    He does have room for my gun cases.
    See onc e the house in PA sells then my wife wants to by a house in Florida.
    She wants to travel between Florida and NJ during the seasons.
    I don't want to keep any firearms down there since it is to far away.
    My family is up here in PA, NJ, and Delaware.
    I do not know for sure but you may want to look into living in NJ and having a duel residence that you only live in part time. There maybe way more in tax's for you then anticipated. I know that the state did not help most people out after Hurricane Sandy like they did those who lived along the shore full time.

(Montgomery County)

So what from what I read here it is hard to get an FFL in NJ so it would be better for me to get it here in PA then I could go to NJ with it.
    I guess at that point I would just renew it so hopefully there wouldn't be any issues with that.

So what from what I read here it is hard to get an FFL in NJ so it would be better for me to get it here in PA then I could go to NJ with it.
    I guess at that point I would just renew it so hopefully there wouldn't be any issues with that.
    Im pretty sure your legit PA FFL business would have no baring on the legality of bringing contraband into your NJ residence. You have to actually prove your operating a legit business to the ATF as well or they will take your FFL away.

If I remember correctly Sarco in Easton only opened a store there because of stocking and compliance issues with the NJ in their original Sterling NJ store.
    Last edited by Hodgie; July 25th, 2019 at 01:33 PM.

(Lehigh County)

It is not that simple. You need a place of business to operate the FFL out of, so will need a place in PA to get one here, and what you can do out of state is more limited than you suspect.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

So, in PA I need a place of business?
    Or is that so the FFL could be renewed in NJ?
    I have a friend and know two other people that have FFL's and operate out of their houses.
    In fact, from what I read 64% of all FFL's issued are to residential addresses.
    Last edited by lraklrak; July 25th, 2019 at 02:07 PM.

Unfortunately, I really don’t have a choice.
    My wife wants to sell the house in PA and move to the shore.
    She is dead set on this and I cannot sway her opinion whatsoever.
    I do want to take some of my guns though, but my hi cap mags I really don't want to part with.
    It's time to hit the eject button.

So in PA I need a place of business?
    Or is that so the FFL could be renewed in NJ?
    I have a friend and know two other people that have FFL's and operate out of there houses.
    In PA and NJ your home can be your place of business for an FFL per the ATF and the state. However it’s very difficult to get your FFL out of your home due to local and county ordinances. The greater majority reject it or have local codes in place that will not allow for it. If your plan is to establish a legit business in PA then easily transfer that to your home in NJ it’s not that simple. You will have to apply in NJ the same way one would who was just getting into it for the 1st time as all local and state laws apply and in some cases there supersede BATF requirements.

To be quite frank there is no way short of becoming a cop that you are going to legally retain your NJ HI cap magazines (which would be only for your service and off duty pistols) while being able to freely use them out in public ranges and for HD/SF unless you own the public range and it’s listed as your place of business on your FFL. You would still NOT be allowed to remove those magazines from that location since it’s your place of business listed on your FFL and bring them home.

If you were to get a legit FFL in NJ out of your home (possible but highly unlikely) then you technically could have hi cap mags in your possession for reselling (business only) however they cannot be removed from your place of business and used at your leisure like at a range.

Hell I bet if you used it in SD during off business hours in the wee hours of the morning you would be charged since they are for business (reselling) out of state only.

Many laws have been changed due to Gov Phil since I moved 6 years ago and worked at a busy shop and range in my spare time so they maybe illegal now for even FFL to have in their possession.

If your goal is to just retain your property and not use it then do like all other NJ hard core gun guys do who won’t compromise and can’t move. Buy a vacuum sealer and a shovel.
    Last edited by Hodgie; July 25th, 2019 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 105gunner View Post
    Sometimes you just have to say No. My noe deceased wife and I had an agreement from the day we got married. No major change unless we both agreed to the change. I think sellin and buying a house couoled with a change of state is a major change. It ought to be mutually agreed.
    Agreed. In this case a small lake house in NEPA and a shore house in Florida would be my compromise.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast