Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default 7.62x39 for deer hunting

I moved to PA a year ago from TN and brought with me a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39mm I bought just for fooling around with cheap ammo. I have never shot a deer with any caliber less than .30-30 and was wondering how well this cartridge stacks up aginst the .30-30.
    In TN I ran my own tests by shooting winchester 123gr softpoints through two one gallon jugs of water into soaked news paper and the 7.62s expanded nicely but didn't blow the jugs up as good as the .30-30 and had less penetration and made smaller holes in the news paper.
    If you have actual experiance hunting with this caliber, please give your opinion. I know the ballistics but they don't always tell the whole story.
    Last edited by Montell C. Williams; March 5th, 2007 at 08:08 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 7.62x39 for deer hunting

The 7.62x39mm is about the same power level as the 30-30 Win. With the 7.62 not needing round nosed bullets for tubular magazines, its BC should be greater allowing for a little bit longer shots. We all know the 30-30 is quite capable of taking whitetail deer, so the 7.62 should serve just as well provided you use the proper type bullets.

(Philadelphia County)

yep, their ballistics are equivalent.

(Jefferson County)

Save yourself a lot of time and money and just go out and buy a hunting rifle or continue hunting with the 30 - 30 rifle.

The 30 30 is a good deer round out to about 150 yards because that is all the further that most people will shoot at a deer in the woods anyways.

Your military rifle is just that. A military rifle.

It's not ment to be used as a deer rifle and is not powerful enough to harvest deer efficiently.

By the time that you go out and buy ammo for your gun that is legal - you might as well just use the 30/30 anyways.

Steel Jackets and tracers and non expanding projectiles are not legal for hunting in PA.

(Philadelphia County)

oh god....here it comes

Quote Originally Posted by The Rifleman View Post
    Save yourself a lot of time and money and just go out and buy a hunting rifle or continue hunting with the 30 - 30 rifle.
    Save yourself time and money by going out and buying a new rifle versus using what you already have. Clearly your grasp of economics and a concept called "time" sucks.

This is a CZ-527

Now that we've established you not knowing what the hell your talking about, let's continue.

It's not ment to be used as a deer rifle
    take a look at that picture and tell me what it is meant to be used for? What do you hunt with that is more appropriate than a bolt action rifle with a politically correct wood stock?

and is not powerful enough to harvest deer efficiently.
    7.62x39mm 123 gr. Super-X® Soft Point: 2033fps@100yards

30-30 Winchester 150 gr. Super-X® Hollow Point: 2018fps@100yards

both are making over 1000 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards. About 200ft lbs difference between the two.

By the time that you go out and buy ammo for your gun that is legal - you might as well just use the 30/30 anyways.
    or you can just go out and buy the commercial hunting load i described above.

Steel Jackets and tracers and non expanding projectiles are not legal for hunting in PA.
    But the commercial hunting load i described above is. As are the many other commercial hunting loads available for it.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Rifleman View Post

The 30 30 is a good deer round out to about 150 yards because that is all the further that most people will shoot at a deer in the woods anyways.

It's not ment to be used as a deer rifle and is not powerful enough to harvest deer efficiently.

Shades of Zumbo....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post
    Shades of Zumbo....
    HAHA! I just said somethign similar in another post.

Now, now why do you suppose we would said the same thing?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post

I heard from an inside source that the editors at Outdoor Life actually dumped him because they got tired of deleting all those carriage returns between sentences prior to publication and putting his articles in paragraph form.
    Last edited by MarcS; March 6th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    I moved to PA a year ago from TN and brought with me a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39mm I bought just for fooling around with cheap ammo. I have never shot a deer with any caliber less than .30-30 and was wondering how well this cartridge stacks up aginst the .30-30.
    Those are nice rifles. The 7.62 x 39 is adequate for deer inside of 200 yards using good soft point ammo.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post

Probably because some people are just plain snobs when it comes to "deer guns", and have no idea that all the designs of their so called "sporting rifles" are nothing but derivatives of military rifles...

I had hoped this attitude was changing, however it is evidenced more and more lately that my fears that the gunowner community is highly fractured are in fact very real.

So sad...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast