Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Need Help!

(Allegheny County)

Default Need Help!

Hey everybody today around 5 pm I shot my first deer, a buck, which appeared to be a 6 pointer through the scope. I shot it from about 120 yards with a 20 ga sabot, 99.9% sure I hit vitals. Now after about 15 mins of shooting it it started to get dark out, so I didnt get a chance to recover it (I followed the blood trail about 100 yards into the woods). Now my question is how hard will the blood trail be to track tomorrow if (hopefully) we dont get any rain or snow? Also after closely looking at the blood on the ground it was very bright red and appeared to have lung matter and maybe some small clots. What are the chances that this deer didnt expire? Ill be out tomorrow at the crack of dawn tracking. Thanks everyone!

EDIT: If it is any help I picked up the blood trail about 15 yards where I shot it on its path it took, the initial blood I found was an oval shape of about 6"x3", and about every 20 or so feet Id find another pool like it, in between the pools I saw just 3-4 drips of blood. I would assume that their would be a heavy blood trail with bleeding like that, also is there any chance that it may have been a result of a leg hit? The blood appeared to be bright red- almost pink.
    Last edited by BandanaBandit1; December 10th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Need Help!

Sounds like a lung shot. Get some sleep and get out at daybreak and pick up the trail ... not much use guessing about anything now ... Good luck !

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Hey everybody today around 5 pm I shot my first deer, a buck, which appeared to be a 6 pointer through the scope. I shot it from about 120 yards with a 20 ga sabot, 99.9% sure I hit vitals. Now after about 15 mins of shooting it it started to get dark out, so I didnt get a chance to recover it (I followed the blood trail about 100 yards into the woods). Now my question is how hard will the blood trail be to track tomorrow if (hopefully) we dont get any rain or snow? Also after closely looking at the blood on the ground it was very bright red and appeared to have lung matter and maybe some small clots. What are the chances that this deer didnt expire? Ill be out tomorrow at the crack of dawn tracking. Thanks everyone!

EDIT: If it is any help I picked up the blood trail about 15 yards where I shot it on its path it took, the initial blood I found was an oval shape of about 6"x3", and about every 20 or so feet Id find another pool like it, in between the pools I saw just 3-4 drips of blood. I would assume that their would be a heavy blood trail with bleeding like that, also is there any chance that it may have been a result of a leg hit? The blood appeared to be bright red- almost pink.
    The blood will be darker more dried out today but should be easy enough to pick up good luck. Remember we need pics if you find it or it did not happen!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Just got back from the woods, I followed the trail for about 300 yards, yes thats 300, with heavy bleeding I was pretty sure I was getting close. Anyway I followed the trail into a thicket/muddy area and the blood and hoof prints and blood just stopped right in the middle of mud. Looked around and made sure it didnt double back and it definetely didnt. searched everywhere within 150 of the end of the trail and didnt get any sign that the deer was around. No hoofprints, blood, rustled leaves on the ground, no dragmarks from other hunters and no hair on the ground. I have absolutely any idea of where that deer could have possibly went. Any ideas?? Will be going out again later to see one last time.

(Chester County)

Abducted by aliens!

sorry, couldn't resist

You're on the opposite side of the state, or I'd say that you shot a Jersey Devil.

(Monroe County)

Make ever larger circles around the last spot of blood you found. Next time you shoot a deer don't follow the blood trail at all for at least a half hour. The harder you push the further they go.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    Make ever larger circles around the last spot of blood you found. Next time you shoot a deer don't follow the blood trail at all for at least a half hour. The harder you push the further they go.
    Yeah after shooting this buck thats one of the more important lessons I learned, along with watching the reaction the deer has after being hit. Live and learn I guess.

(Delaware County)

Take some cloth with you for flags at the spot where the track vanish make a grid or pattern that is ever widening to about 50 yards, have someone go with you. If you have yellow or vermillon shooting glasses they might help in the thicket to highlight colors of the deer / blood.
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post
    Take some cloth with you for flags at the spot where the track vanish make a grid or pattern that is ever widening to about 50 yards, have someone go with you.
    This is some good advice, I always have a roll of orange marking tape with me when I deer hunt. If I'm tracking, I tie pieces of it along the blood trail, it really helps you to stay on the trail, and also helps to give you a direction of travel for the deer in case you do lose the trail.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment