Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Father to Son Rifle Transfers?

My dad has a Anschutz Silhouette Rifle and wants to give it to me since he is retiring. He is currently living in PA and I will bring the Rifle back to TX this August through Southwest airlines.

Do we need to transfer it into my name? If so, would please advise on the procedure?

Thank you for your advice!!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Father to Son Rifle Transfers?

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

I know if you are both PA in-state residents he can just give it to you. But because you are not a PA resident I'm not sure if he can just give it to you.

If nobody else here can answer with sources I would call a PA FFL and ask them.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I know if you are both PA in-state residents he can just give it to you. But because you are not a PA resident I'm not sure if he can just give it to you.

If nobody else here can answer with sources I would call a PA FFL and ask them.
    I would recommend your dad transfers the firearm to you through an FFL, either in PA or Texas. If you lived in PA, no brainer, dad hands you the firearm and done. Because this is now an interstate transfer, family or not, it requires an FFL in my opinion. Notice in the quoted section below, it only says "acquire", it doesn't mention if it was purchased or gifted, because it doesn't matter. If you acquire out of state, you need an FFL.

From ATF Website:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    I would recommend your dad transfers the firearm to you through an FFL, either in PA or Texas. If you lived in PA, no brainer, dad hands you the firearm and done. Because this is now an interstate transfer, family or not, it requires an FFL in my opinion. Notice in the quoted section below, it only says "acquire", it doesn't mention if it was purchased or gifted, because it doesn't matter. If you acquire out of state, you need an FFL.

From ATF Website:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    I agree. I would transfer it in PA through a FFL.

You should not have an issue flying back with it. Use the TSA link in the above post and check your individual airlines policies as well. You will most likely need a locking case.

I have flow out of Pittsburgh with a firearm and it was an easy process because I was prepared.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Monroe County)

Yes make it simple have arrange to send it to an instate FFL.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Does Southwest charge for that as an additional checked bag? Might be cheaper to ship it to an FFL near you in TX.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Does Southwest charge for that as an additional checked bag? Might be cheaper to ship it to an FFL near you in TX.
    If he transfers the firearm through a dealer in PA from his dad to himself, he can ship it directly to his house.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    If he transfers the firearm through a dealer in PA from his dad to himself, he can ship it directly to his house.
    This is correct, if he and his dad go to a PA FFL and do the transfer (required by federal law because of the interstate transfer) the he can box it up and mail it (or ship - although he might get a bit of a hassle from UPS or FedEx because of their internal rules dealing with shipping firearms) to himself. Personally, I would box it up and mail it Priority Mail with insurance. You do not have to tell the PO that it is a firearm if you don't want to. It will go from PA to TX in about 2-3 days typically.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member