Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default New forum member/ New gun owner

Hi all,
    I'm a new forum member, first time gun owner, and new resident of PA.

I moved to PA a month ago from NYC, so I can finally own a gun.

I applied for a carry permit 2 weeks ago when I got my PA license. I'm in Northampton County, so I'm hearing that it will take 30-45 days. I don't plan to carry but good to have just in case i ever need to transport my gold bars somewhere. LOL

I bought a new Glock 19 Gen 4 Front Serrations online and picked it up from a local gun shop a couple of days ago. Love the way it feels, but I've shot it before so I knew that i would like it. Can't wait to take it to the range. I read the manual and watched some youtube videos. So I was able to take it apart and "clean" and oil it before using it for the first time. Will go shooting Friday maybe.

Any suggestions/advice/tips for first time gun owner, Glock-specific, anything really... TIA

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New forum member/ New gun owner

And I just ordered the Streamlight TLR-6 laser/light combo since this is going to be at home for defense.

Welcome to the state and to free firearms ownership. Make sure to acquaint yourself with the 4 basic rules of firearms safety and keep them fresh in your mind at all times. I don't know if you have children or not but I would consider getting a good light bearing retention holster to store your firearm in at all times even when lock up. Since you do not plan to carry now check out the Safari Land ALS holsters on Amazon.

Regarding your new freedoms here in PA remember that they are no longer guaranteed in this day and age especially at election time so get acquainted with who's running for local, state and federal elections and their platforms and make sure to vote in order to retain your rights.

I've been here now for 6 years and enjoy the area, I'm a bit north of you. Lots to do especially outdoors and since your close to Bethlehem make sure to check out the restaurants downtown since they have some of the best in the area.

Good luck with your new Glock, I know mine has never disappointed me.

(Berks County)

Look for a law seminar.

Take a couple gun classes at a local shop.

Look for more instruction after basic pistol and defense courses.

Never vote for anyone who supports any gun control at all. Its goal is elimination of all guns except government's.

Probably should be first, learn to keep finger off trigger and muzzle not pointed at anything you don't want destroyed.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum, I also have a Gen 4 Front Serrations Glock 19 too. My favorite version of the Glock 19 (I've had a few 19s too...)
    Good choice.

Enjoy your Glock, you'll probably switch out the sights later on (or sooner) lots of good choices. I'm sure that you'll get a lot of recommendation. Holster wise, also a lot of good choices out there - again, everyone is different so everyone has different preferences.

Take care, and enjoy the "firearms" path... - oh, maybe look at taking a class or two, always a fun way to get to know your gun and equipment and also a good way to meet fellow shooters.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Never vote for anyone who supports any gun control at all. Its goal is elimination of all guns except government's.
    Except for Brian Fitzpatrick because he's a Republican.

Welcome to PA, to POOFA, relative freedom, and the wonderful world of guns.

(Northampton County)

Thanks all.

I forgot to mention. Before picking up a gun, i took the Firearms 101 class at Heritage Guild. Basically, I took it for the safety factor.

I also bought a Sentry biometric safe for the house. Code or fingerprint.

Looking at Alien Gear holsters, any opinions?

(Berks County)

You seem to be heading in the right direction, congratulations and good luck to you. Welcome to PAFOA, a great place for information of all types and lots of sarcasm and entertainment too.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Thanks all.

I forgot to mention. Before picking up a gun, i took the Firearms 101 class at Heritage Guild. Basically, I took it for the safety factor.

I also bought a Sentry biometric safe for the house. Code or fingerprint.

Looking at Alien Gear holsters, any opinions?
    My buddy has an Alien gear and really likes it.

If you can't afford a class or if you are like me and enjoy figuring things out on your own, YouTube has some great info. Just make sure you pick reputable people. Bob Vogel, Jerry Miculek, Ben Stoeger and Ron Leatham are all phenomenal shooters and have some great how to videos for shooting. Not tactical shooting, just shooting. Dry firing is the best, cheapest way to build skill. Grip, stance, draws and reloads can all be practiced for free dry firing at home. Just be careful. When you get your holster, practice drawing from it a couple hundred times before doing it loaded. Make sure you keep the ammo completely separate from where you are dry firing because it's real easy to screw up.
    Good luck. After you shoot for a while and get competent check out an IDPA match. I wish someone would have told me about them when I started shooting. A lot of fun and great practice.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

Get an AR-15 while the gettin's good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast