Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Looking at guns at work bad?

On Thursday July 18th, 2019 I was called into the HR office and told I was being investigated for looking at guns on a work machine. I am a lawful gun owner, who is licensed in Pennsylvania for concealed carry. I was looking at handguns for self defense, not assault rifles during downtime on the job. My work was getting done.

July 19th 2019, After being told to take the day off with pay, I was told that I'd have to come in on the following Monday (tomorrow) but not to show up until HR says to.

I have no crimes on my record. I'm expecting to be termed for violating their internet usage policy or some bs like that.

Just curious what you guys think about it. I guess it was dumb of me, but this is the bs we have to deal with because of maniacs with AR15's killing people and they throw us into that mix.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Looking at guns at work bad?

Unfortunately in PA we are hired 'at will' and can be let go for any reason the employer wants and our only recourse is to collect unemployment if not fired for just cause. IMO letting you go for looking at firearms websites would be chicken-shit. Do they have any company policies on personal use of their computers? What if you were looking a cars or houses, etc?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

They will track your internet use. Some have certain sites blocked.
    Years ago i was accused of being on ebay at work. Ironically, my employer had ebay blocked, but because I read an email with an ebay html tag, they claimed i was on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninerounds View Post
    On Thursday July 18th, 2019 I was called into the HR office and told I was being investigated for looking at guns on a work machine. I am a lawful gun owner, who is licensed in Pennsylvania for concealed carry. I was looking at handguns for self defense, not assault rifles during downtime on the job. My work was getting done.

July 19th 2019, After being told to take the day off with pay, I was told that I'd have to come in on the following Monday (tomorrow) but not to show up until HR says to.

I have no crimes on my record. I'm expecting to be termed for violating their internet usage policy or some bs like that.

Just curious what you guys think about it. I guess it was dumb of me, but this is the bs we have to deal with because of maniacs with AR15's killing people and they throw us into that mix.
    If you violated a policy, then I suppose you have what's coming to you. Your opinion relative to the AR 15 rifle platform is moot to the situation.

(Bucks County)

Unfortunately, this is the hoplophobic world we live in today.

If looking at evil gunz on company computers is prohibited, it should be written policy.

Even if it wasn't, employers can fire you in PA for almost any reason.

Perhaps your best recourse would be to claim you're an LGBTLMNOP and are being oppressed.

(Allegheny County)

If you're going to be using your workplace PC for non work things, some discretion is wise. That means understanding sensitivities in the workplace to certain subjects, which generally includes firearms (but you should have a good idea of the culture in your office). I don't use my work PC to look at gun stuff (but some of my coworkers do), and really only use it around lunch time to look at tech news or something like that. Other than that I do what I can to keep work and personal stuff separated.

That being said, I think there's some overreaction going on at your employer, in the name of caution (worried of workplace violence). I would have hoped to have the courtesy of being spoken to by my manager instead of getting spoken to by HR.

(Clearfield County)

In before the ban.

They're redoing the computer system company wide. Can't get anything now. No internet access at all.
    Used to catch up on the news at break time and do a lot of research on vendors and services. Bought parts , supplies and tools on Ebay and Amazon. Company intranet only now.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Doesnt help the OP, but this is why I only use my personal phone for non work related stuff.

(Wayne County)

Hoplophobia or no, if you knew that your workplace had an acceptable use policy (and ALL employers with computer networks do), you can't complain. I guarantee that you were advised of it, whether you paid attention or not.

Yes, it is stupid. Especially when you consider that they are making a happy employee, who is looking at guns, disgruntled and unhappy with his workplace. Seems counterproductive to me when all that was needed for a first offense was to have someone above you say "Hey, Ninerounds. HR got a complaint from IT about you using non-work websites. Nah, I don't know which ones, but I know you do. So, knock it off during work time, will you please?"

Document, then done

No one is upset, the word has been passed and a second offense is grounds for justifiable reprimand, since you were warned.

Honestly, considering that HR departments are supposed to deal with humans, they sure don't act like it. Their capacity for dealing with people is generally not worth a shit.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast