Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking at guns at work bad?

It all depends on the office culture. Another dept at my company fired a guy for printing out an article entitled "Top time management techniques of America's Best Snipers". The guy was big into self help to motivate his production people to make deadlines. Some overly sensitive witch in his dept saw it on the printer and he was out the door the same day.

That said I wouldn't have the last 4 guns I bought if I hadn't bought them while at work using my company computer. I'm in an enclosed space with my back to the wall. No one sees my screens unless I want them to. Besides, I'M the IT guy. I know we're not monitoring shit and people will only get canned if some stick in the mud overeats.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Unfortunately in PA we are hired 'at will' and can be let go for any reason the employer wants and our only recourse is to collect unemployment if not fired for just cause.
    That's not the only recourse, you can always sue for unlawful termination for instance if you were discriminated against.

(Monroe County)

Glad the place I work has no clue. I'd get nothing done with my FFL.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by grGuns View Post
    That's not the only recourse, you can always sue for unlawful termination for instance if you were discriminated against.
    Wrongful termination due to discrimination would likely be difficult to prove since an employer has the right to exercise its own discretion in such matter. For example, if John gets busted looking up an online cupcake recipe it might be seen by the employer as less offensive than Mary looking up guns. The employer could argue that it had more concerns about employees interested in guns than those interested in cupcakes. Then it could cite many cases in which employees shit up where they were or had been employed. Cupcakes would not present the same issues. However, if Mary gets busted for looking at guns and John does too, but only Mary gets canned there would seem to be some discrimination. —- Go online on your own time.
    USMC 1961 to 1967
    MOS: 0811 Rank at Discharge: Corporal E4

I think its time to move on to another job and politely resign for reasons other than what H R says.H R also is not permitted to explain to any potential employer the real reason for leaving,Unless it is a Govt. position or one that requires backgrounds and polygraph ! And don't do that again you have my sympathies !

(Berks County)

Its monday. Does are op still have a job? Was he canned? Stay tuned to find out.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by grGuns View Post
    That only works if you're looking at homo sites or have a rainbow flag hanging on your wall.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Juniata County)

"Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Personally I feel employees doing anything personal on the internet, whether it's their device or the companies, while on company time is time theft, and should be dealt with accordingly. It's an epidemic that costs lord knows how much money to employers. However I don't feel this case should be dealt with any differently then shopping for bra's, neck ties, or a car. So long as the activity isn't illegal it shouldn't be dealt with any differently than an other similar infraction.

(Chester County)

If you're at lunch, or on whatever free time your company allows, use your phone for personal inquiries. Most people have smart phones that are fine for looking at whatever you want, guns included. Do NOT use the company's wifi for that purpose. Go to a coffee shop, or restaurant that has free wifi, or use your plan's 4G.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast