Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Little more machining today!

Was able to spend some time in my shop room today..(I have so many things I want to machine), and while I’m waiting for the barrel and plunger rod for my P80 SC build, I figured I would try something I’ve wanted to do for awhile.

I’ve done about every mod one can do on my home built Savage bench gun. I’ve had a homemade Bolt Lift in since I built it. The old 38spl case head with ball bearing. But I’ve wanted to machine one. Not that it will work any better, but just because I can!

So I grabbed some 6al4v Titanium 12mm rod I have, and turned down an end. Now I don’t have a lathe. I do my turning in my mill.

Cut the length I wanted and surfaced the flange. Then used a 5mm end mill and pressed in the 5mm Si3N4 BB I use.

Nice fit says I.

I have one more idea to add. As it is the harder the surface the better, I ordered some Tungsten rod and I’m planning to press a piece into the center of the BAS. So it will be a Silicone Nitride ball bearing against a Tungsten Carbide surface. I’m also working on a Titanium firing pin...so more to come.

Oh..here’s a quick vid showing how smooth & easy the bolt operates. This is lifting the bolt with one finger on a free standing rifle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sDyuqH6kNQ
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Washington County)

Default Re: Little more machining today!

Very nice! Isn't it great what a machine tool can do by altering the set up (referring to you turning on the mill).
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Carbon County)

Yeah, have done some milling on my lathe.

(Bucks County)

Very Nice work on an X2 mill. I’ve never tried to use my X2 as a lathe since I have a 8.5x20 lathe but it looks promising.

(Bucks County)

I have been told by a very knowledgeable gunsmith that Titanium is not a good material for a firing pin although the firing pin in my Ruger SR1911 is holding up just fine but it does not have a ton of rounds through it. I believe it develops stress cracks. I don’t mean to rain on your parade Or convince you that it doesn’t work, just giving you some info given to me. I hope it works out for you

All depends on what type of titanium and how it's heat-treated.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

Bucks1911, no “parade rainedon” taken, my friend. I am aware of the limitations of Titanium. Although will be the first time “I’m” making a firing pin from Ti, it’s not the first time I’ve USED Titanium FP’s in my Firearms, or MADE other high stress parts from it. Where Ti fails, is its more malleable than steel. And Titanium actually CAN NOT be heat treated, as abner13 pointed to. Titanium is made stronger by alloying. Pure Ti is basically Grade 2. When strength is needed, best to use Grade 5, or 6AL4V(6% aluminum, & 4% Vanadium). That is what I use. Applying heat & cooling is actually a good way to color Ti.

The only point of using Ti for anything in firearms is complete corrosion resistance & the “coolness” factor. That’s the whole reason I’m using it in the Lift Kits I’m making and giving away. It’s just “cool”, and still works the same. But for profit, Ti makes no sense! It’s really doesn’t give any added benefit & it’s an SOB to machine.
    Last edited by DavidH; November 21st, 2019 at 09:24 AM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Carbon County)

I use a lot of Titanium and 7075 Aluminum to make parts to lighten up rifles.