Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Hoppe's #9 doesn't dissolve carbon very well

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I agree, Frog lube properly applied doesn't gel or freeze up. I love that shit. I have nothing bad to say about Frog lube period.
    Except for the price and there is some pretty convincing speculation that it is mostly coconut oil that you can get at a grocery store.

I don't buy in to the uber-expensive wonder lubes. Give me a quart of Mobil one synthetic 0-20 wt motor oil for about $8 and I am happy.

And a quart or two of Eds Red (of course). Works better than Hoppes. Just doesn't smell as good.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I stopped using FL, it was too much work in the end and gummed up many a firing pin on me!
    I've never had that problem maybe you went a little too heavy with cleanings after initial seasoning and left too much product on? I always just leave a light sheen and it is perfect. I dont view Frog lube application as I would if I were using an oil like Hoppe's. Light refresher is all it needs. When the gun gets hot, the Frog lube liquefies perfect every time.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: Hoppe's #9 doesn't dissolve carbon very well

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Except for the price and there is some pretty convincing speculation that it is mostly coconut oil that you can get at a grocery store.

I don't buy in to the uber-expensive wonder lubes. Give me a quart of Mobil one synthetic 0-20 wt motor oil for about $8 and I am happy.

And a quart or two of Eds Red (of course). Works better than Hoppes. Just doesn't smell as good.
    Coconut oil is awesome in my experience. Check out the link, keep scrolling pretty long.

Link:
    http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Bucks County)

Sometime after WWII a man gave me a saber and scabbard which he said was Italian. It had a very distinct odor that smelled like coconut.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Oil of wintergreen is probably just a minor component of any cleaner you buy and nowhere do I see the pure stuff will dissolve elemental carbon. An experienced chemist knows never to sniff a bottle of methyl salicylate and if you ever used Ben Gay you will know it burns your skin.

You don't really "dissolve" carbon (or graphite or diamonds). With a strong detergent and other harsh chemicals you can loosen it and break it up. But look under a microscope of the solution and you will still see the carbon floating around. That is why some rubbing is always needed at the end of a soak.

Its not like sugar in water or grease in a solvent.
    Yes its a ingredient to look for in so-called carbon solvents. Seafoam, slip2000 carbon killer, marvel mystery oil. Im not advocating straight oil of wintergreen although I do have a bottle from my carbon killing search. Its nothing to be foolish with. Some lady runner ended up killing herself with abuse of it in bengay, solonpas, tigerbaum and saran wrap. She took a run and her pours opened up and soaked in a lethal dose.

Last edited by Gunsnwater; July 17th, 2019 at 11:24 PM.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Armstrong County)

As posted directly above.
    Slip2000 is great stuff.
    Hoppe's Elite is also a great product, both carbon and some copper. But there are better copper killers out there, which is a whole other thread.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

Just ordered Slip2000. Thanks for the info.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I use Carbon Cutter and its of wire brush scrubbing in on direction only.. Cleans my Sig op rod on SBR ok. LOTS of hand work to get it really clean.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I've never had that problem maybe you went a little too heavy with cleanings after initial seasoning and left too much product on? I always just leave a light sheen and it is perfect. I dont view Frog lube application as I would if I were using an oil like Hoppe's. Light refresher is all it needs. When the gun gets hot, the Frog lube liquefies perfect every time.
    looking into better ways to apply I came across a bunch of guys who use a crock pot and just set the parts in it with froglube.... guess I'm going to get a beater crock pot from goodwill.

Slip 2000 on the gun. I use the Hoppes #9 for the scent.
    Hold the Line...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast