Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hoppe's #9 doesn't dissolve carbon very well

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    How about alcohol?
    Works great if you cut yourself while cleaning the rifle, not so great on guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I have a can of Kroil. I have used it to scrub bores. I'll try it on the bolt next time.
    Slop it on and let it sit overnite.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

Molten iron will work but it's a little hard to use. Actually, nothing will dissolve carbon found in guns. The trick is to find a solvent that will dissolve the grease/oil that is holding it on and then wipe or flush it off.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I recently seen video reviews on the solvent. I'd like to try it on the AR but kinda worried it may pull the Frog lube from the pores. I really like the ease of clean up frog lube provides but this stuff looks like it would make it even easier. I contacted the manufacturer and asked if it was compatible with frog lube, I'll post what they say for those who are interested when they get back to me.

Shooters lube response:
    I was in that boat I had frog lubed the crap out of everything I tried theirs instead seems to be holding up fine. no issues that I can see. As for frog lube being "gummy" according to them that's probably more from improper application of said froglube.

(Berks County)

I stopped using FL, it was too much work in the end and gummed up many a firing pin on me!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

There is not much that will just dissolve carbon by soaking. Hoppes and Kroil will penetrate under the carbon and loosen it. But you still have to rub on it for it to come off.

The real stuff that actually dissolves carbon is pretty nasty. Use gloves in a very well ventilated area. Bench rest shooters used to use GM top engine cleaner but it was reformulated years ago and doesn't work as good now. Some people claim Seafoam cleaner (get it at an auto store) also works.

Do some searches and see what people recommend now. But I doubt you will find something that will penetrate in a hole and clean everything without a little rubbing. And since these cleaners are nasty you want to get it all off before putting your rifle back together.

(Bucks County)

BG MOA oil additive dissolves carbon pretty well.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    There is not much that will just dissolve carbon by soaking. Hoppes and Kroil will penetrate under the carbon and loosen it. But you still have to rub on it for it to come off.

The real stuff that actually dissolves carbon is pretty nasty. Use gloves in a very well ventilated area. Bench rest shooters used to use GM top engine cleaner but it was reformulated years ago and doesn't work as good now. Some people claim Seafoam cleaner (get it at an auto store) also works.

Do some searches and see what people recommend now. But I doubt you will find something that will penetrate in a hole and clean everything without a little rubbing. And since these cleaners are nasty you want to get it all off before putting your rifle back together.
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...of-wintergreen

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Oil of wintergreen is probably just a minor component of any cleaner you buy and nowhere do I see the pure stuff will dissolve elemental carbon. An experienced chemist knows never to sniff a bottle of methyl salicylate and if you ever used Ben Gay you will know it burns your skin.

You don't really "dissolve" carbon (or graphite or diamonds). With a strong detergent and other harsh chemicals you can loosen it and break it up. But look under a microscope of the solution and you will still see the carbon floating around. That is why some rubbing is always needed at the end of a soak.

Its not like sugar in water or grease in a solvent.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    As for frog lube being "gummy" according to them that's probably more from improper application of said froglube.
    I agree, Frog lube properly applied doesn't gel or freeze up. I love that shit. I have nothing bad to say about Frog lube period.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast