Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Carrying in Gettysburg

I am at the beautiful and solemn Gettysburg. I brought my daughter here to learn (as did I) all about the amazing, sad, and momentous battle that took place here. I have been a member here for a few years and have learned a lot about carrying in PA. Since our government actually got something right and decided to allow us to carry in national parks, I decided to enjoy this new freedom.

Well, we started our day at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center. However right out front was this sign stating that I can not in fact carry in the building.

I was upset, and not prepared for this at all. I had done my due diligence and read up about this new law. Or at least I thought I had. Turns out that while you can indeed carry in our beautiful national parks, any place that federal employees work, i.e. a visitor center, is off limits.

This was a reminder that even though I have learned a great deal since joining this site, I still have much more to learn. You see, before I joined this site a few years ago, I didn't know the first thing about being a responsible gun owner.

Anyways, hopefully someone else will read this and not make the same mistake. Oh yeah, get out of the house and go to Gettysburg. It is truly amazing.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

Default Re: Carrying in Gettysburg

Thanks for the headsup,We will be visiting Gettysburg for a few days this June.

(Luzerne County)

You can carry in National Parks, but you cannot carry in a Federal building.

(Wayne County)

Good to know I will be taking my nephew there this summer, looks like I'm leaving it in the car.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    You can carry in National Parks, but you cannot carry in a Federal building.
    To be a bit more specific, you must be carrying in compliance with all State laws where that National Park is located. Therefore, to carry concealed in Gettysburg NMP, you must have a PA LTCF, or a reciprocal license/permit from another state. Also, that means that you may not carry in a National park located in a state that doesn't allow carry of firearms. The law doesn't exempt anyone from state laws (not that you implied that it did).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Venango County)

When I go to Gettysburg (One of the best Civil War parks BTW), I take a portable gun safe. It gets cabled under my seat. It has a built-in alarm as well. I place the gun there when I go to the Federal buildings.

Antietam is also a nice battlefield to visit. It is much smaller.

Be sure to go up top of the PA monument. Great views of the Gettysburg battlefield. I remember the tower that was there when I was a kid. I went up a couple of times. Great for an overview but what an eyesore.

I got a History Channel DVD/software. It shows pix and vids of the battlefield, weapon information including cannons and shells, and an animation showing estimated troop movements and engagements which really brings it to life. It also has an auto tour CD. Take a lap top with you and follow the battle with the CD and the movements on the DVD/Laptop!

My childhood experiences at Gettysburg inspired me to study the civil war and rights. It also led to me serving 4 yrs active and 2 reserve in the Army.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Antietam is also a nice battlefield to visit. It is much smaller.
    Antietam is also in Maryland, so don't take your firearm, unless you are a very special person.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Washington County)

I hop you guys enjoy it as much as we did. And I guess I need to invest in a gun safe. So as to be more prepared next time. The audio is definitely worth it.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

really want to visit Gettysburg again its been too long. 150th next summer too.

(Chester County)

Effective 2/22/10 the SOI's powers to regulate carry in NPS and NWRS is deferred to the host state's laws:

16 USC 1a-7b: Protecting Americans from violent crime
    (b) Protecting the right of individuals to bear arms in units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System
    The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if—

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.
    Weapon possession in a Federal facility is prohibited in the Federal Crimes Code by 18 USC 930 and is totally unaffected by the above cited law. A Federal facility is defined as:

18 USC 930(g) As used in this section:

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ml#post1746824
    IANAL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast