Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Talked to a gun owner in Texas today.

Today I am in Lewisville Texas, which is just north of Ft. Worth. I was driving down the street (in a shopping area) and I saw a guy at the light standing there on the corner with a 3x2 placard with an American flag on it and carrying an AR type rifle. I had heard about these guys in Tx before who were taking a stand for gun rights, so on my way back I stopped and talked to him. He was about 30-35 years old and had an AR type rifle, loaded with two mags taped together and he had on an OD green ammo belt (AK-47 type). So we talked about gun ownership, gun laws around the nation etc. At times he seemed to know some things on laws correctly, but then some of the stuff he was saying was completely bogus.

He seemed to think that as long as he was in his Texas registered vehicle he could go to a city like Chicago, or a state like NJ, and be completely legal in carrying a handgun in his vehicle. He also said that there is a special law that allows truckers like myself to be armed anywhere in the country, (every state and city) and be legal. Well, both of those claims by him were completely wrong but I just let him go on with his spiel and didn't say anything to the contrary. I could see the type of person I was dealing with (a Mr. Know It All) so at that point I just wished him well and left.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Talked to a gun owner in Texas today.

Cool story bro.

I think he's related to the jackass that tried to say he was able to carry on flights pre 9/11 with his FFL.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I talked to a gun owner in California yesterday, who is my cousin by marriage. Sarcasm runs strong in my wife's family, but there was a level of seriousness in the conversation. My cousin started talking about being on the "jihad response team" and that any family member can join as long as they have an ar-15. My wife looked at me and being the new family member, I seriously but happily stated with a smile, "How about an ak?"

He then basically said no because that is a Russian rifle, to which I responded that one of them is a Russian AK and the other is a Chinese AKM pattern rifle. Not that I had them with me, but both my ak's are actually California compliant. At that point he said nothing further to me, so I just let the conversation die. I found out that my cousin is a veteran. I falsely assumed there might be some comrodery between family gun owners in San Diego.

On a good note, my brother in law by marriage (also a veteran) let me shoot on his property in Maine last month, so there is some hope with the new family!

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    . . . He also said that there is a special law that allows truckers like myself to be armed anywhere in the country, (every state and city) and be legal. . . .
    That's a popular myth, based on the theory that your truck is your "place of business", and most states allow you to have a gun in your place of business.

It may be your "office" for some purposes, but not for firearms, in which context it's just a "vehicle".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Today I am in Lewisville Texas, which is just north of Ft. Worth. I was driving down the street (in a shopping area) and I saw a guy at the light standing there on the corner with a 3x2 placard with an American flag on it and carrying an AR type rifle. I had heard about these guys in Tx before who were taking a stand for gun rights, so on my way back I stopped and talked to him. He was about 30-35 years old and had an AR type rifle, loaded with two mags taped together and he had on an OD green ammo belt (AK-47 type). So we talked about gun ownership, gun laws around the nation etc. At times he seemed to know some things on laws correctly, but then some of the stuff he was saying was completely bogus.

He seemed to think that as long as he was in his Texas registered vehicle he could go to a city like Chicago, or a state like NJ, and be completely legal in carrying a handgun in his vehicle. He also said that there is a special law that allows truckers like myself to be armed anywhere in the country, (every state and city) and be legal. Well, both of those claims by him were completely wrong but I just let him go on with his spiel and didn't say anything to the contrary. I could see the type of person I was dealing with (a Mr. Know It All) so at that point I just wished him well and left.
    Texans are always misinformed in my experience. They think they're the bastion of gun freedom and are ignorant of just how restrictive Texas is.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Sounds like one of those sovereign citizen assholes.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Texans are always misinformed in my experience. They think they're the bastion of gun freedom and are ignorant of just how restrictive Texas is.
    Yup. Texas is the biggest pain in the ass having to constantly look out for 30.06 and 51% signs.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    That's a popular myth, based on the theory that your truck is your "place of business", and most states allow you to have a gun in your place of business.

It may be your "office" for some purposes, but not for firearms, in which context it's just a "vehicle".
    Once you climb into a commercial vehicle you leave your citizenship behind. You have no rights. At least that's how I felt when I was out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Texans think that they are in heaven on earth in my experience.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Texans think that they are in heaven on earth in my experience.
    Too bad the weather more closely resembles that of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

I know that I am only legal in my truck in a state that recognizes my Florida Concealed Weapon License. I just let him ramble on, it was sort of funny and sad at the same time.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast