Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    21474843

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Your last firearms purchase from a BMV Inquiry ? Can you please expand.
    I posted in another thread a couple years ago (2016 ?); about being stopped by PA Trooper on I-78 coming home from the Harrisburg rally.
    I noted in that post how the Trooper knew I had an LTCF.
    AND how at the end of the stop; the Trooper asked me how I liked that Beretta 92 I was carrying.
    BUT I was not carrying my Beretta 92. I was carrying my M&P I bought as part of the same sale as the Beretta.
    The Trooper replied (paraphrase) "Oh; when I ran your info; it only showed a Beretta as your last purchase."
    Other people in that same thread mentioned how everyone on here should be outraged at my encounter.

    I've tried searching for that post of mine.
    BUT the search and posting history do not go back that far.

    If you can find my post; please reply with it.

    Edit:
    I just searched for related files on my computer.
    I see the stop occurred on 5/22/2017.
    SO my above noted post would probably have been within a month or two after that date.
    Last edited by ett; August 14th, 2019 at 01:34 PM.
    --ET

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cranberry Twp, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    And what leeway do you think a cop has in "those situations"?
    Is it ok for him to frisk you for a traffic stop? Confiscate your gun until you can prove it's yours? Finger fuck your carry piece and then leave it in pieces for you to put back together?
    It's been quoted on the forums in various places the different experiences people have had when pulled over. Sometimes cops won't even ask. Sometimes they ask if you're carrying and tell you to leave it holstered and don't touch, or the extreme where they freak out, call for backup and frisk you while you're facing the hood of your car.

    I don't think there is an "SOP" for LEO's pulling over citizens for traffic violations on how they handle people with an LTCF, seems quite arbitrary IMO.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the middle of no where, Georgia
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Are you including Philadelphia County LTCF in your data?
    Nationwide cops are convicted at 6 times the rate of license holders.
    You already know that I'm sure.
    Think about the real rate of cops vs license holders. How many cops turn a blind eye to their partners in crime?
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.


    Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the middle of no where, Georgia
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    It's been quoted on the forums in various places the different experiences people have had when pulled over. Sometimes cops won't even ask. Sometimes they ask if you're carrying and tell you to leave it holstered and don't touch, or the extreme where they freak out, call for backup and frisk you while you're facing the hood of your car.

    I don't think there is an "SOP" for LEO's pulling over citizens for traffic violations on how they handle people with an LTCF, seems quite arbitrary IMO.
    I agree. But cops are gonna be cops. I trust em as much as a stray dog. They might be friendly, they might be rabid. Either way, I do my best to avoid them.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.


    Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ephrata, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,945
    Rep Power
    6129112

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    Why? Licensed holders have been proven to be more law abiding than the average cop. Seems like just another infringement in a no duty to inform state.
    No idea. Just policy. I can tell you several south central counties do it.

    Just so the officer knows the owner has a license, doesn’t mean the registered owner is driving though.

    Same thing when someone calls in an incident, If the person calling knows the name or license plate of the person involved, we run that too and search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,004
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I posted in another thread a couple years ago (2016 ?); about being stopped by PA Trooper on I-78 coming home from the Harrisburg rally.
    I noted in that post how the Trooper knew I had an LTCF.
    AND how at the end of the stop; the Trooper asked me how I liked that Beretta 92 I was carrying.
    BUT I was not carrying my Beretta 92. I was carrying my M&P I bought as part of the same sale as the Beretta.
    The Trooper replied (paraphrase) "Oh; when I ran your info; it only showed a Beretta as your last purchase."
    Other people in that same thread mentioned how everyone on here should be outraged at my encounter.

    I've tried searching for that post of mine.
    BUT the search and posting history do not go back that far.

    If you can find my post; please reply with it.

    Edit:
    I just searched for related files on my computer.
    I see the stop occurred on 5/22/2017.
    SO my above noted post would probably have been within a month or two after that date.
    Here you go:

    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...49#post3610349

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    1692357

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    I agree. But cops are gonna be cops. I trust em as much as a stray dog. They might be friendly, they might be rabid. Either way, I do my best to avoid them.
    Damn that's depressing to hear.

    I'm a cop. I stop license holders all the time. Sometimes they inform me that they are carrying, sometimes not. I don't care, except if they are knowledgeable, it's nice to talk guns if they bring it up. I'll usually tell them that they are not required to do so, but thank them anyway.
    Often times, at the end of the stop, I'll mention the fact that I know that they have a LTCF and ask if they are carrying simply to encourage them to do so. I've found that only about 20% of licensees actually carry their firearms. Shame. Should be 100%!

    In my career, I've met few cops who are against citizens being armed.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the middle of no where, Georgia
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    Damn that's depressing to hear.

    I'm a cop. I stop license holders all the time. Sometimes they inform me that they are carrying, sometimes not. I don't care, except if they are knowledgeable, it's nice to talk guns if they bring it up. I'll usually tell them that they are not required to do so, but thank them anyway.
    Often times, at the end of the stop, I'll mention the fact that I know that they have a LTCF and ask if they are carrying simply to encourage them to do so. I've found that only about 20% of licensees actually carry their firearms. Shame. Should be 100%!

    In my career, I've met few cops who are against citizens being armed.
    In my experience, cops don't talk to you because they are friendly, but because they are on a fishing expedition. I know there are cops that care oit there, I just think they are few and far between and the thin blue line is where integrity and fairness ends.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.


    Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Belly of the BEAST, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    17755067

    Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

    Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    In my experience, cops don't talk to you because they are friendly, but because they are on a fishing expedition. I know there are cops that care oit there, I just think they are few and far between and the thin blue line is where integrity and fairness ends.
    Ive had some amazing and hilarious conversations with police officers, including some who are friends and some who are family. But even they all agree, once the lights go on, all that ends. Its fishing time.


    Heres Michael Rapaport and his lawyer friends tips for roadside stops. (Directed towards medical cannabis users, but still applies.)


Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Similar Threads

  1. Duty to inform.
    By pacodelahoya in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2019, 02:23 PM
  2. Duty to Inform? FOAC Says YES!
    By Mr_Gixxer in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: April 29th, 2019, 09:51 AM
  3. Duty to Inform when stopped by police
    By jxh5761 in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: August 17th, 2017, 07:53 AM
  4. Duty to inform
    By General Geoff in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 16th, 2011, 03:18 PM
  5. Duty to inform in Philly?????
    By beekay in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops