Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Duty to Inform ....question based on actual expeirence

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    I had a very minor accident , I was rear ended at a red light , the car behind me had their foot "slip" off the break and they rolled into me . Minor damage to my rear bumper. We pulled over off the road and I called the police. The driver of the other vehicle was saying there was no visible damage so we were good . I knew there was damage albeit minor so I called the police , I wanted the report for my insurance purposes. Long story short ...I was pocket carrying my .32 in my cargo shorts and I did not tell the office I was carrying when he arrived , I just didn't want to complicate the situation and really just wanted the accident report. Was this a grey area or should I have informed the officer?
    You did fine. Adding something more complex into a simple situation is asking for a disaster to happen. I’m an Leo and the few times I was pulled over I never informed.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Adams County)

Ohio is a must inform state. Go to Google and type in "Canton Ohio cop abuses concealed carry permit holder" and watch the video, then decide if you want to inform that you're carrying when not legally required to do so.

(Allegheny County)

I was stopped for a minor traffic violation and the cop saw my ltcf while i was taking out my license. 2 more cop cars show up and I ended up with my hands on my car while they removed it and ran the serial number.

I now keep my ltcf well separated from my drivers info.
    Last edited by DukeConnor; July 28th, 2019 at 07:16 AM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I was stopped for a minor traffic violation and the cop saw my ltcf while i was taking out my license. 2 more cop cars show up and I ended up with my hands on my car while they removed it and ran the serial number.

I now keep my ltcf well separated from my drivers info.
    Ridiculous. I hope you filed a complaint, at least.

(Bucks County)

I got pulled over on Main St in Newtown early this year, wife neglected to renew her registration and I guess he got me on a plate scan. Took my L/R/I, and came back stating "I see you have your LTCF, do you have a weapon on you tonight?"

I didn't, which I told him, but he then replied "OK well you're supposed to tell me if you do."

I knew he was wrong but wasn't about to argue with him. Next time I saw my ffl, who is police, I asked. He said I absolutely do not need to inform up front or answer any questions relating to weapon possession, and could have made a case against the dept if I had been carrying that night and it went any further.

The answer, as others have stated, is either silence or "I'm not carrying anything illegal."

There are probably relatively few situations where stating "I have a gun" will de-escalate a tense dynamic. None of them occur to me as I'm sitting here.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There are probably relatively few situations where stating "I have a gun" will de-escalate a tense dynamic. None of them occur to me as I'm sitting here.
    Just proudly yell it out to the officer as he/she walks up to the side of your vehicle. I'm sure they'll appreciate the cooperation on your part.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Just proudly yell it out to the officer as he/she walks up to the side of your vehicle. I'm sure they'll appreciate the cooperation on your part.
    Eventually some idiot is going to read something like this and get themselves killed following this joke advice.

No, I don't really expect anybody here is going to change, but I think it should be said.

And not trying to single you out, this is just the latest one I've seen.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Eventually some idiot is going to read something like this and get themselves killed following this joke advice.

No, I don't really expect anybody here is going to change, but I think it should be said.

And not trying to single you out, this is just the latest one I've seen.
    In that case, the world will be a better place without the participation of that particular idiot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    I got pulled over on Main St in Newtown early this year, wife neglected to renew her registration and I guess he got me on a plate scan. Took my L/R/I, and came back stating "I see you have your LTCF, do you have a weapon on you tonight?"

I didn't, which I told him, but he then replied "OK well you're supposed to tell me if you do."

I knew he was wrong but wasn't about to argue with him. Next time I saw my ffl, who is police, I asked. He said I absolutely do not need to inform up front or answer any questions relating to weapon possession, and could have made a case against the dept if I had been carrying that night and it went any further.

The answer, as others have stated, is either silence or "I'm not carrying anything illegal."
    This is a PA reg'd car, you are a PA-licensed driver? Did he know from seeing your LTCF, or from running the reg??? I think we are all interested if reg lookup is producing carry info here in PA.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast