Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Purchasing and owning (NFA) Suppressor question

Have been looking into starting paperwork on a suppressor and or setting up a trust. I currently live in reside in NY but spend a lot of time at my home in PA. My son and law and I do a fair amount of shooting activities and would like to buy own suppressors and store one or more in PA. Will a local FFL sell me and or my son in law a suppressor or transfer to one of us after buying online? after the proper paperwork that is. Or are we better off setting up a trust? Any info would be great thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Lightbulb Re: Purchasing and owning (NFA) Suppressor question

Quote Originally Posted by Anythinggood View Post
    Have been looking into starting paperwork on a suppressor and or setting up a trust. I currently live in reside in NY but spend a lot of time at my home in PA. My son and law and I do a fair amount of shooting activities and would like to buy own suppressors and store one or more in PA. Will a local FFL sell me and or my son in law a suppressor or transfer to one of us after buying online? after the proper paperwork that is. Or are we better off setting up a trust? Any info would be great thanks.
    Try contacting hear they should be able to help in your inquiry

https://www.freedomsportsllc.com/

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Purchasing and owning (NFA) Suppressor question

If you are a legal resident of NY, legally obtaining suppressors might be a problem. Maybe there is a way to register it through a trust or corporation with a PA address. I suggest you get that settled first before you look any further.

(Pike County)

Thanks for the help

(Washington County)

You can only purchase an NFA item in your state of residence, which sounds like NY. So only an FFL/SOT in NY can sell you a suppressor as an individual or under a trust. Now if you had a legitimate LLC / Corporation registered in PA doing business in PA, then like any other PA business, that company could purchase NFA items.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    You can only purchase an NFA item in your state of residence, which sounds like NY. So only an FFL/SOT in NY can sell you a suppressor as an individual or under a trust. Now if you had a legitimate LLC / Corporation registered in PA doing business in PA, then like any other PA business, that company could purchase NFA items.
    The OP problem is sound suppressors are not legal in NY state. So he would somehow have to legally register it in PA with a PA address. I don't know if that is possible. Maybe with the LLC route?

(Pike County)

Yeah sounds like it’s a no go. Thanks guys will hopefully be relocating permanently after retirement and my son in law finds a job worth leaving NY over.