Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Go and Bubba No More: Who Can Put Together My AR Upper near Abington?

I'm trying to put together an AR15 upper; nicer CHF barrel, Aero Precision Enhanced Upper, Enhanced Gen 2 hand guards. I got the proper tools to get the barrel on and torqued correctly (barrel extension torque tool, vice, 1/2" torque wrenches, etc.)

Everything came together well until I noticed the barrel was askew by about 1/8" at the business end which is very noticeable once you install a muzzle device.

I could go out and get a face lapping kit (and see if it even fits inside an Aero enhanced upper) and a handheld drill and some upper receiver blocks and try to true the receiver face to see if this fixes the issue, but I'm tapping out.

Any gunshop smith would be able to put an upper together but this looks like it will require an actual gunsmith, not a Lego builder.

Who's the go to guy in the Abington area for something like this?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Go and Bubba No More: Who Can Put Together My AR Upper near Abington?

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post

I'm trying to put together an AR15 upper; nicer CHF barrel, Aero Precision Enhanced Upper, Enhanced Gen 2 hand guards. I got the proper tools to get the barrel on and torqued correctly (barrel extension torque tool, vice, 1/2" torque wrenches, etc.)

Everything came together well until I noticed the barrel was askew by about 1/8" at the business end which is very noticeable once you install a muzzle device.

I could go out and get a face lapping kit (and see if it even fits inside an Aero enhanced upper) and a handheld drill and some upper receiver blocks and try to true the receiver face to see if this fixes the issue, but I'm tapping out.

Any gunshop smith would be able to put an upper together but this looks like it will require an actual gunsmith, not a Lego builder.

Who's the go to guy in the Abington area for something like this?
    I'd be contacting manufacturers..
    Sounds like a nice enough build that you shouldn't be having that kind of issue. I know some have had issues seating the barrel in some builds completely due to the very tight fit (to help with accuracy). Is it possible it's not fully seated?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Go and Bubba No More: Who Can Put Together My AR Upper near Abington?

Sorry but you did something or one of the parts should go back.
    Not sure what the muzzle device would have to do with it but
    Either
    1-the upper is machined wrong
    2-the bbl ext is on wrong
    3-the bbl is warped
    4-you cross threaded the bbl nut
    5-far fetched but something like wrapping got caught btw the bbl and rec when they were seated.
    6- combo of any 2.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; July 15th, 2019 at 08:42 AM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

When you say "the barrel was askew by about 1/8" at the business end" are you meaning left to right, up or down from the theoretically center line of the bore, or off in degrees such as the gas port not being at 12 O'Clock ?

for starters I'd disassemble, thoroughly clean everything , check for any burs, pronounced machining marks, get a small machinist square and check everything that should be a right angle is and reassemble see if is squared up before threading the barrel nut on, go hand tight and check again

(Bucks County)

Sounds like the barrel is not centered within the handguard. Assuming the hand guard is Aero enhanced gen 2, this is on the website:

quote Are you attaching this handguard to a standard threaded upper receiver?
    Make sure to select "Yes" under the Bar Barrel Nut option above (shims included). Our handguards use the BAR interface and do not work with a standard barrel nut. If you are using our M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver, no additional pieces are needed. Purchased with a handguard, the BAR Barrel Nut is $20 ($40 when sold separately). unquote

Maybe a problem with how it is mounting to the nut?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Good catch! I forgot about that and I have an Aero handguard that I needed to add that special barrel nut to when I ordered.
    Seems quite possible this could be the issue.
    These things almost put themselves together - it's pretty unusual to have things not "fit".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Somerset County)

If you do need someone to assemble I have sent several to John Thomas at retro gun works. You would have to ship it but he is a pro and turnaround is only a few days. Should be $30-35 for an assembled upper

I have had him do pin/weld, gas block pinning, fitted a fsb to barrel and some other custom stuff and have been very pleased with the work. Lots of good feedback on other forums as well

ADCO is an option too. I have had them do pin/weld before but JT looks much better for cheaper cost. Both were acceptable though