Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Adding a shotgun to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor90 View Post
    I have a chance to do some moderate range hunting. 300 yards or so. What's the best slugs in 12ga?
    You are not going to get 300 yards in a slug gun, especially not a smoothbore shotgun like that. I'd say 75, maybe 100 yards max for that gun.

Maybe 200yd with expensive sabot slugs and a rifled bore . Plan on 75yd with most shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    You are not going to get 300 yards in a slug gun, especially not a smoothbore shotgun like that. I'd say 75, maybe 100 yards max for that gun.
    Interesting. I'm a rifle and pistol guy. I'm rather surprised that even with a decent scope it would be so limited.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Maybe 200yd with expensive sabot slugs and a rifled bore . Plan on 75yd with most shotguns.
    Thanks for the info. I'm definitely new to shotguns. I knew my only interest was in using slugs, I'm still going to pick one of these up, however I'm rethinking for what purpose aside from range fun. The closest I've ever dropped a dear was close to 400 yards with a .308. Maybe I'm hoping for too much out of a nice scoped 12g. Anyway, we'll see.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armor90 View Post
    Interesting. I'm a rifle and pistol guy. I'm rather surprised that even with a decent scope it would be so limited.
    Yeah, they're just too heavy and slow to get any decent range out of them (which is why the more populated areas of the state require them since they theoretically would travel less if you miss).

Your best bet for range is a dedicated rifled slug gun (H&R UltraSlugHunter, Browning A-Bolt, and, as I mentioned, the Ithaca Deerslayer). Those guns are purpose built to get the maximum range and accuracy possible out of a shotgun. With a rifled barrel, they're designed to be used with sabot slugs. Sabot slugs have a plastic sabot around the slug, which engages the rifling of the shotgun barrel to impart spin.

The biggest downside is the cost. The guns are expensive. The ammo is expensive (~$3-$5 per round). All for a gun you're going to use 2 weeks per year at most (6 if you hunt the late doe only season). Shooting shot out of a rifled barrel shotgun won't get you a very useful pattern. You can get a smoothbore shotgun and a separate rifled barrel, but you won't get quite as much accuracy as a dedicated gun. You might be able to hit 200 yards if you find the right gun and ammo combo (which, in itself, is expensive since the ammo that works well in a particular gun can vary).

Then consider the fact that what comes out the end of a rifled barrel shotgun is basically a muzzleloading bullet that you would use in a modern muzzleloader.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I was able to get 3-4 MOA with Hornady SST's off a bench at 100 yards through my old rifled barrel Mossy 500 and a Nikon Slughunter Scope. That would probably open up to 6 or more standing, that's if you know your ranges.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12