Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Question AK's with Dragunov stock?

Disclaimer: I am new to AK's so if this is a stupid question sorry.

Can AK's with Dragunov stocks accept standard stocks and hand grips?

Like this:

to this:

Only reason I ask is that AK's with Dragunov stocks seem to be $100 - $200 cheaper than rifles with the standard furniture. Because of the price diffrence, I'm wondering if it has a special reciver that only accepts special stocks. I'm planning on getting new furniture anyway, so this is a great way to save $$$.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AK's with Dragunov stock?

That's kind of a loaded question! There are so many different receivers out there that it is almost impossible to tell what will and wont fit until you actually get to see it. The good thing is that there are a ton of places selling all kinds of adapters and devices to mount different stocks to different receivers...

Front hand grips can be just as evasive but are somewhat more common from variation to variation.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

There is a good chance it's a single stack receiver if it's that much cheaper.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Allegheny County)

Your pic is of a stamped receivered AKM - (I'd bet a Romy SAR/Cur, or whatever they were called back when they had mag-well dimples and before they became dimple-less WASRs) - so it ought to be able to take any stock and pistol grip designed for a stamped receivered AKM.

Lucky for you that several USA-made poly stock sets are available in WARPACT and NATO lengths for stamped AKMs. And there are the custom wood sets as well (for more money than I paid for any one of my WASRs).

You will need the special AK PG nut and bolt as there is no other way to attach the standard AK pistol grip once the Drag/PSL stock is removed.

I personally have no issue with the Drag/PSL stocks; I like the way they handle and point and I've Demel'd up the PG area to "make it mine".
    Truth be told, I took OFF my plum Bulgy poly set and put a plum-stained Drag/PSL stock back on the one WASR I have.
    To each his own!

(Allegheny County)

The stock doesn't make the gun when it comes to the fixed stock AK's. And even then...

I would assume the ones you are looking at are the Century Arms ones with the drag stock. These will be low capacity unless the one you are looking at, is the exact one in the picture.

They have a rack of the ones you speak of at dunhams. They can be converted to a pistol grip just like nfafan said. The PG nut, and bolt can be bought for <$20. And you can put on a stock and pistol grip of your choosing. As well as another stock.

The one in your "after" picture uses an ulitmak forend. Bottom and top from the look of it. That alone costs more than the low cap romanian. But there are a bunch of handguards that will fit Romanian AK's that incorporate rails.

Those are just the best.

(Allegheny County)

Damn you guys know your stuff! The one I was talking about is NOT necessarily the one pictured, but I do believe it is a Century Arms AK. If it is, you say its single stack? Ah, thats where they get ya.

I was looking in a Dunham's ad and WASR's are $399 and this was like $270. The $399 one said double stack, the $270 didn't say anything. Those sly bastards. Trying to trick us AK noobs, but I know from others here make sure your ask or inspect AK's at Dunham's.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    There is a good chance it's a single stack receiver if it's that much cheaper.
    eulogyADD,
    I bought one awhile back much like the one in your picture, It's a Romy WASr2 5.45x39mm and it was $100 cheaper than a standard Wasr and it accepted standard AK furniture with no problem, As far as a Single stack goes, 40 minutes with a Dremal and it'll be a Double Stack.

good Luck
    TJ
    Recoil Happens

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    eulogyADD,
    40 minutes with a Dremal and it'll be a Double Stack.

good Luck
    TJ
    + compliance parts

(HTS, piston, grip & muzzle attachment)
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Allegheny County)

I think you can cover all the compliance stuff for less than the $130 Dunhams is charging between the two.

It also gives you the opportunity of dremeling out the mag well yourself. As opposed to Century doing it. Which can be hit or miss.

But... if you don't feel like doing any work to it. Buy the Ex capacity and just be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    + compliance parts

(HTS, piston, grip & muzzle attachment)
    Forgot about that, As mentioned if you choose to go the Dremal route, You get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and making sure it's done correctly. I ended up with pretty much Zero Wobble in mine, But I had to take my time and do lots of fit up's to get it just right, Too much and you can it end up with a $250 door stop.

It's easy to do and IMHO worth the coin you save over buying a completed model. But if you don't own a Dremal than add another $50 to the overall cost or hopefully borrow one.

Good Luck to Ya

TJB
    Recoil Happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast