Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: A Storied Revolver

Four well written paragraphs and six photographs but you would have sparked more interest if you simply took one picture of it next to your dinner plate.

My first 357 was a Taurus model 66. Generally the same gun but with adjustable sights. Mine was also newer with the lock and seven round cylinder. It was a very accurate gun and I agree with the members who said it felt great in hand. It came with the rubber grip but I was fortunate enough to find the older wood grips on one of the auction sites. Unfortunately I went through a phase where I let myself be too influenced by the masses and sold it after reading all the negative reviews of Taurus in general. Now that I feel I have enough experience under my belt not to be influenced by others I would buy it back for what I sold it for in a minute.

Thank you JenniferG for the post, it was an interesting read indeed
    Last edited by bripro; July 14th, 2019 at 10:00 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Four well written paragraphs and six photographs but you would have sparked more interest if you simply took one picture of it next to your dinner plate.

My first 357 was a Taurus model 66. Generally the same gun but with adjustable sights. Mine was also newer with the lock and seven round cylinder. It was a very accurate gun and I agree with the members who said it felt great in hand. It came with the rubber grip but I was fortunate enough to find the older wood grips on one of the auction sites. Unfortunately I went through a phase where I let myself be too influenced by the masses and sold it after reading all the negative reviews of Taurus in general. Now that I feel I have enough experience under my belt not to be influenced by others I would buy it back for what I sold it for in a minute.

Thank you JenniferG for the post, it was an interesting read indeed
    Thanks bripro. All my dishes were in the dishwasher at the time. I've read quite a few things about Taurus quality and even a member here that I respect quite a bit as a gunsmith doesn't have much good to say about Taurus quality and I believe him. I do believe however that with guns that have a simple design there is sometime the exceptional example that escapes the regular everyday poor quality and defies all the real life experience and talk. I do believe this particular gun to be an exception. I'm also cognizant not to push my luck too far so I just shoot the .38 special loads with the occasional cylinder full of .357 magnum. I'd be very disappointed if something were to go wrong and the gun would be damaged from hot loads at this point. I now know why the Model 19 had problems with the forcing cone and I haven't talked to that friend that owned that gun for many years now. It was fun at the time busting his chops about his gun failing when my cheezy Taurus kept taking a licking and kept on ticking.

I prefer Smith and Wesson over all the other revolvers and that Model 28 kobsw has is beautiful. I would love to own a shootin' iron of that kind of quality and workmanship. Like I wrote in my original post I am still kicking myself for selling that 629. It was late last year that I was bidding on a 4" Model 29 on Gunbroker but got outbid. Those things are like gold now. That's the way it goes. Maybe I'll find a nice model 27 or 28 now. I think the .44 might be a bit on the too much recoil and not enough fun side for me now.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Those older Smith’s still pop up in the Lancaster area from time to time. My streak seams to have ended but I found a six inch 586-1, eight inch 29-2, 6.5 inch 29-2 and six inch 19-4 (I won’t put it up against your Taurus) within a few months from each other. Not at gunbroker prices either. Many of the shops here told me flat out something that they know spark interest comes and it goes right to gun broker. The trick was to visit the shop I found that has no interest in doing that. There was a 28 available locally too but I missed that by about a day. They’re definitely out there, my hope is that as they get passed on the younger generation wants to trade them in for Glock’s and Sigs.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Wayne County)

Not a storied revolver like Jenn's, but still a sweet pistol. Took my M65 and Bravo 1 with me berry picking last night. We've had a lot of bear activity around my place recently. And if there's one place that has a high probability of bumping into a bear, it's a blueberry swamp in the Poconos during berry season during the evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Looks like the model 65 has changed somewhat over the years. That's a nice Bark River fixed blade to go along for berry picking too.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wayne County)

Same design for at least 10 years. I think I bought my first one around '08-'09.

And there's never a dearth or good cutlery at the Sandcut household. Thanks!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12