Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: OAKS 2 Day Show Aug 3rd & Aug 4th, 2019

I waited to mention it till the show is over, but heard from a vendor or two that one of those groups of 5 empty tables, wont be back.
    They supposedly decided to throw their business away but building and selling poly80s of some kind under the table.

(York County)

I was set up at the show and did really well. i exceeded my expectations for a summer show in PA. that being said, there were lots of guys there with hands deep in their pockets, just walking around. lots of guys just there to pick things up, rack the bolt 15 or 20 times, aim down the sights, and then put it back down on the table and say..."i like it but i don't have any money". Lots of guys there that look at your table and then immediately price comparison shop on the internet and then say, "i can get this for $3 less on the inter webs" and walk away.

I agree (through many years of being on BOTH sides of the tables) that yes, there are lots of dealers out there with really high prices on their items. It often times makes me wonder how they stay in business because i would never pay $150 more for something at a show when i could get it on gun broker for $150 less even with shipping and transfer fees included! I also recognize that many dealers do indeed have higher prices on used guns than what i would be willing to pay. That may be from the public that walks in the door after looking at gunbroker and picking out the highest listed price on there, and immediately believing that is how much their gun is worth and they won't take a penny less. its funny to see the guys come in the show who want above retail for a gun they want to sell, only to bitch about an above retail price on a dealers table. Many people dont get to see things from both sides of the table, so they try to beat the hell out of a dealer when they want to buy something. I have also witnessed dealers beating the hell out of someone who wants to sell something too, so dont think I'm sticking up for those guys. I had a dealer from Jersey want to buy a $3000+ rifle from me the ti marked at $2250 as it was a consignment gun and I would have made $0 on it. he then proceeded to sit down at my table and ask me "what can you do here for an old veteran?". i said my price was firm and that he would make $1000 on that rifle, and that no one does anything for me (a middle aged veteran). I would never have the audacity to bring up veteran status and play an age card when trying to make a deal...thats bullshit. anyway, he sat the rifle down and walked away. i got a call just seconds later from a customer who saw the rifle earlier and said he would buy it....so it was sold.

For the most part, being a dealer isn't all that bad. yes, we have to put up with some of the stupidest questions ever, we put up with guys who pick up $5000 guns and flip them around without care and with no intentions of buying them. I had several people pick up rifles and bang them into my other guns by accident and never apologize. i have had guys who want to sell used AR-15s for MORE than i buy new ones for. and i have the guys who want to buy a $1000 gun but only want to pay $600 for it. its extremely tiring and makes those dealers bitter.....probably why so many of them are grumpy all of the time. BUT, I do have the pleasure of meeting some VERY nice and respectful people! I dont need to make a huge amount of money on things i sell, as i believe all people who PAY TO GET INTO a show deserve to get a deal that will make them happy. If you can't find a deal...whats the point of buying or going to a show? I would imagine that the vast majority of the buying public doesnt know that dealers may only make $50 to $75 profit on a new firearm. They probably dont know that table rent is $80 each. and by the time you have gas, meals, tolls, hotel, table rent, and employees to pay....you are already $1000 in debt to a show before you make one sale. I've heard many dealers over the years complain about buyers and buyers about dealers. But at the end of the day buyers dont have to go to the show and just because they do...it doesnt guarantee them anything except the chance to be inundated with the smell of body odor from the guy in front of, beside, and behind you.

that being said...ive been doing this kind of thing for 15+ years and I still like it. I still like talking to people about the hobby we enjoy, and the hobby has always been kind to my family. We may be facing some tough times ahead of us very soon, and there may be an opportunity for some unscrupulous dealers to price gouge. I hope it doesnt turn out that way but who knows.....

(Berks County)

I must just be lucky because I have yet to encounter a memorable stinky BO ridden person at any of the shows I've been to. Marines55, where were you set up? What do you sell?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

^^^ for post #52^^^
    Thank you for you service both in the military and as a dealer. Unfortunately, most of the idiots you speak of aren't on this forum (hopefully). But keep up trying as not all of us are oblivious to your travails. It would be nice to limit non-gun stuff, but that would leave pickle and jerky vendors out in the cold.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    ^^^ for post #52^^^
    Thank you for you service both in the military and as a dealer. Unfortunately, most of the idiots you speak of aren't on this forum (hopefully). But keep up trying as not all of us are oblivious to your travails. It would be nice to limit non-gun stuff, but that would leave pickle and jerky vendors out in the cold.

Believe it or not, that is a huge sticking point with the dealers! I am sure that must of the meatballs i encounter are not members here so i dont want anyone to think i am speaking ill of them! I merely wanted to illustrate that there are meatballs on both sides of the table. I Myself, WOULD LOVE to see some of the flea market vendors get booted out of the show. it kills it for both dealers and show goers alike! ultimately, the show promoters are the ones who have control over this but i highly doubt they are members here or even see the feedback. maybe some polite and direct feedback with the show promoters would help this?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I must just be lucky because I have yet to encounter a memorable stinky BO ridden person at any of the shows I've been to. Marines55, where were you set up? What do you sell?
    you certainly are lucky!!!! I was set up next to the alderferer auction company booth. i got to stare at sleepy taxidermy bears and coyotes all weekend. I sell older military firearms, modern firearms, mags, ammo, etc. a little bit of everything!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    Believe it or not, that is a huge sticking point with the dealers! I am sure that must of the meatballs i encounter are not members here so i dont want anyone to think i am speaking ill of them! I merely wanted to illustrate that there are meatballs on both sides of the table. I Myself, WOULD LOVE to see some of the flea market vendors get booted out of the show. it kills it for both dealers and show goers alike! ultimately, the show promoters are the ones who have control over this but i highly doubt they are members here or even see the feedback. maybe some polite and direct feedback with the show promoters would help this?
    Keep in mind, it's all about the money and the hall rental probably is not cheap so they do whatever they have to to pay the bills. I'm surprised that some of those vendors still come since I don't see them getting any action, maybe they get their sales when I'm not looking.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

The show vendors have to compete with online outlets which often have overnight free overnight shipping just like the brick and mortars.

Drive there and back is $6 gas. An hour driving time. Add $11 entrance fee.

And current soft market, until the 2020 election.

(Bucks County)

I had a good time there Saturday. Made a good fair trade on a gun I've been looking to sell for one I've been looking to buy, both me and the seller were happy. Also got a good price on a handful of D&H AR mags, and 2 new spare mags for a new pistol I bought recently for well below market price.

Also got to fondle some nice guns in the process, and meet some good people.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(Chester County)

I had a great time on Saturday as well. Bought a handgun that I had been seeking for a while at a great price plus two Japanese barrelled actions in great shape for a nominal price. I keep coming back to this show for good reason. Did Indian River Collectibles lower their prices for this show? I didn't bother to ask.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast