Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43x

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Glock 43x

Quote Originally Posted by L56 View Post
    I'm confused about what why you are confused by my opening sentence. It made more sense to me to apply for my permit first before buying a gun. I don't see how you could get confused.
    Are you referring to your license to carry firearms (LTCF)? If so I get it now although there is nothing mailed in my county.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Washington County)

In my mind, the 43x is a terrible gun for concealed carry. The grip is the difficult part to conceal. The 43x has longer grip than both the 43 and the 26. If I was going to carry something with a grip of that size I would just get the glock 19. Even the glock 48 makes more sense than the 43x. Same capacity and concealability, but longer sight radius and increased projectile velocity.

Upon re-reading your post, I see you are concerned with the lack of a manual safety. Personally, I think a carry gun should not have a manual safety. One less thing to stop you from getting off a shot under stress. It is something you have to come to terms with (or not.) It is important to carry in a secure and safe holster which will not allow the trigger to become pressed inadvertently. It is also important to practice drawing and re-holstering safely, and of course to always obey the four laws of firearms safety, one of which deals with trigger finger discipline.
    Last edited by marinville; July 6th, 2019 at 09:59 PM.

(Washington County)

I also disagree that a Glock 43 or 26 is in any way difficult to control or shoot accurately. Its a 9mm, not a 357. Why buy something that is going to be a bear to carry every day and dress around when better options now exist.

(Montgomery County)

The 43 isn't at all hard to shoot, but it's not as easy to shoot as a 19.

That said, the two guns I'm most likely to carry on a day to day basis are a G43 and a S&W 442 (.38spl snub revolver).

I've got a bevvy of larger guns that shoot better, but I can't hide them as easily and hiding them is key to me.

I don't want to say to not get a G43 or its variants, but if you do, heck whatever gun you get, shoot it a ton before carrying it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I also disagree that a Glock 43 or 26 is in any way difficult to control or shoot accurately. Its a 9mm, not a 357. Why buy something that is going to be a bear to carry every day and dress around when better options now exist.
    No, it's not a hard gun to shoot. But from the sounds of it (and in my opinion), he's at a point in his firearms journey where he needs to worry more about learning to shoot, and worry less about carrying. A compact or full size will be much better for that purpose.

First rep sent for having the good sense to NOT buy a Taurus!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Personally I think before you buy a gun look for a introduction to firearms specifically hand guns class. The NRA used to teach this class and while it's very basic it should allow you to get your hands on a number of different kinds of firearms and familiar with their different types of operation.

There is no one wonder firearm that does absolutely everything perfect so you need to decide what the intended role of its going to be. If you are looking for something to conceal carry, put on your night stand and be comfortable and shootable enough for extended range visits especially for a beginner then I would highly recommend the S&W Shield which offers a manual safety. I personally own the Shield as well as the Glock 43 and while it's not the X model I carry it with extended base plates making it roughly the same size. It's not hard to conceal at all and it is a great gun, however the Shield is better in almost every way especially strait out of the box bone stock. It's also a much softer shooter with better sites and that's very important to a new shooter.

Instead of buying 5 guns, 4 of which you hate based on everyone else's personal opinions many of which are bias towards one style or brand (including mine at times) find the class I mentioned or get to a rental range and rent several kinds of firearms and see what you like. I can almost guarantee as a new shooter you will NOT like any small framed revolver like a S&W 442, pocket .380 and most of the new pocket 9's.

Don't let yourself be overwhelmed by opinions from the internet or pushy gun store clerks who typically are ill informed on everything firearms related. Any questions you may have feel free to ask. I wasn't raised around firearms and didn't start getting involved with them until my mid 20's, I did a lot of figuring out on my own while spending a lot of money I didn't need to on firearms and accessories that ended up not being for me. Unfortunately your on the other side of the state or I would offer you my modern handgun collection for an afternoon.

Use YouTube to your advantage for pistol comparisons for Guns that are in the same class like the Shield and Glock 43. If your not familiar with any firearms related channels then search the following channels for reviews and comparisons based off lots of experience.

Great channel for all things firearms with lots of content.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Mrgunsngear

Two very good Shield vs G43 comparisons if you decide it's still the route you want to take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYH2M7CJN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PHr6I5O1A

NRA training courses.
    https://firearmtraining.nra.org/student-courses/

I would stay away from the E-courses and look for live hands on instruction. My brother teaches the specific course I mentioned above and I will find out which one it is and update the thread later today with the name so your not wondering. I do know he had examples of all the modern firearms and action types for his students to put hands on in class.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Hodgie; July 7th, 2019 at 07:00 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I have several Good Friends who are retired Police Officers and a Detective. They all had G43s but now have switched over to SIG 365s. My one good friend is picking up a second SIG 365 with a safety. His first one has no safety.

(Chester County)

Take the NRA pistol class before deciding on which gun to buy. There are some guns that just aren't suitable for a first gun and a good instructor will let you know which ones they are. Don't let anyone convince you of their gun of choice find one that fits you, your experience and your budget.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

Don't let yourself be overwhelmed by opinions from the internet or pushy gun store clerks who typically are ill informed on everything firearms related. Any questions you may have feel free to ask. I wasn't raised around firearms and didn't start getting involved with them until my mid 20's, I did a lot of figuring out on my own while spending a lot of money I didn't need to on firearms and accessories that ended up not being for me. Unfortunately your on the other side of the state or I would offer you my modern handgun collection for an afternoon.
    Since someone was kind enough to offer, I will do the same since I am a lot closer than he is...

If you can drive a bit further north, you're welcome to try any handgun I have. I should have something in each of most of the pistol types for you to try. Most are HK, since that's what I'm used to, sadly. A couple of examples that would work would be...

Single stack: Walther PPS M.2 (closest to the G43 you were considering)
    Compact: HK USP Compact (hammer fired, have one each in DAO LEM and DA/SA), HK VP9 (striker fired, bit bigger than the Glock 19)
    Full Sized: HK USP Tactical, USP Expert (hammer fired, DA/SA)
    Revolver: Dan Wesson .22 (DA)

Or, as I mentioned in the other thread, come to a group shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast