Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: So I found this Kevlar ballistic vest and helmet at goodwill. What’s it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    At least he edited out that he paid $100 for it (with the helmet)

What he paid for it is irrelevant.
    God bless America!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: So I found this Kevlar ballistic vest and helmet at goodwill. What’s it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    What he paid for it is irrelevant.
    God bless America!
    I agree, but $500 is absolutely laughable. $200 is probably obtainable.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I know many here feel that vest expiration is premature, as we have discussed in previous threads.
    Personally I am not comfortable trusting my life to a vest past the manufacturer recommendation.
    People should do what they feel is best, but full disclosure should be given to a potential buyer.
    So if you had an expired one already on hand, and were unavoidably headed towards a situation where you thought a brand new one might be useful, do you use the expired one, or leave it behind?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

Stupid question, but: If a kevlar vest is bought new, and never used (simply sits on a shelf), and goes past it's "expiration date", is it still good because it wasn't worn?

I am assuming the "expiration date' means that the vest has been worn for an average amount of time/uses, and the fibers have moved/shifted, thus no longer to be trusted? I mean, it's not like the shelf-life of an MRE.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tacgunner View Post
    Stupid question, but: If a kevlar vest is bought new, and never used (simply sits on a shelf), and goes past it's "expiration date", is it still good because it wasn't worn?

I am assuming the "expiration date' means that the vest has been worn for an average amount of time/uses, and the fibers have moved/shifted, thus no longer to be trusted? I mean, it's not like the shelf-life of an MRE.
    heat, moisture and flexing break down kevlar, one that is kept flat, dry and cool will last longer. Even the ones that were used tend to last past the expiration date

If you're worried about it buy one the polyethylene vests since they aren't affected by heat or moisture.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    heat, moisture and flexing break down kevlar, one that is kept flat, dry and cool will last longer. Even the ones that were used tend to last past the expiration date

If you're worried about it buy one the polyethylene vests since they aren't affected by heat or moisture.
    Was curious about it being more of a "use until" vs "shelf life".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    So if you had an expired one already on hand, and were unavoidably headed towards a situation where you thought a brand new one might be useful, do you use the expired one, or leave it behind?
    I would need to know all the irrelevant circumstances that have nothing to do with my post.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

I actually edited the price out so my gf didn’t see how much I paid for it. She’d kill me lol
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Perfect flack jacket for my 50. If you want to sell it pm me with a price with shipping to 19018.

(Berks County)

Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast