Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Newest Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Opinions on the GC series

I love Colt 1911s . Never owned a Gold Cup.

Got this NIB. Magwell, checkering, series 70. Changed the blue grips to these silver woods. I really appreciate checkering.

Is the Gold Cup a good model? I tried to chamber a JHP from the 8 round mag it came with and it would get stuck on the ramp. Switched to a 7 round Colt mag and zero problems chambering a JHP. I guess the 8 round mag stinks. Magwell wiggles slightly side to side. Not too worried about that. Trigger is crisp as can be. I like the wide trigger.

Can anyone educate me on the Gold Cup? Good overall gun? Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Newest Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Opinions on the GC series

Gold cup used to have a fingered barrel bushing and a lighter recoil spring. It was setup for target loads. I don't know about the current model. Those fingers would break and ball ammo would batter them without a spring change or buffer.

Swap out a new plastic follower on that 8 round mag and see if it runs. Basically 3 different followers metal flat, metal round and plastic. Some guns prefer one over the the others.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

I just bought a series 80 gold cup. When I go the gun JHP would not feed out of either a 7 rd mag or an 8 rd mag. I tore the gun down and gave it really good cleaning.JHP now feed out of either mag.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Gold cup used to have a fingered barrel bushing and a lighter recoil spring. It was setup for target loads. I don't know about the current model. Those fingers would break and ball ammo would batter them without a spring change or buffer.

Swap out a new plastic follower on that 8 round mag and see if it runs. Basically 3 different followers metal flat, metal round and plastic. Some guns prefer one over the the others.
    Mine came with two springs, one for Target loads and one for regular. Never had an issue with Hornady if Speer gold dots fwiw, but I mostly run target loads through it.