Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ammo

(Washington County)

Default Ammo

I am about to get my first gun this weekend. It will be a 9mm. I have no idea what ammo to get. A friend who is a police officer in Ohio told me to get Federal hollow point. I would like to have recommendations or would the Federal do just fine.

(York County)

Default Re: Ammo

Federal is fine. I personally like Hornadys line up of self defense (critical defense/critical duty). All of then do the job the are supposed to, so it's personal preference. Nothing wrong with trying out a few different brands to help you decide.
    I wouldn't recommend self defense ammo for basic target practice. Federal also makes standard 115G FMJ ammo that is much much cheaper than self defense ammo. Some folks like the Winchester bulk packs for target practice.

Federal HST

/End Thread
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by L56 View Post
    I am about to get my first gun this weekend. It will be a 9mm. I have no idea what ammo to get. A friend who is a police officer in Ohio told me to get Federal hollow point. I would like to have recommendations or would the Federal do just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    Federal is fine. I personally like Hornadys line up of self defense (critical defense/critical duty). All of then do the job the are supposed to, so it's personal preference. Nothing wrong with trying out a few different brands to help you decide.
    I wouldn't recommend self defense ammo for basic target practice. Federal also makes standard 115G FMJ ammo that is much much cheaper than self defense ammo. Some folks like the Winchester bulk packs for target practice.
    We generally *would* recommend, however, that you run (at least) several magazines of self defense ammo thru a self defense gun before carrying said ammo with said gun. Some guns don't like some ammo, even if another of the same model has no issues.

(Chester County)

You're putting the cart before the horse. Since this is your first gun get several boxes of the least expensive 9mm ammo you can find at Wally-World or your local gun shop, shoot a box, clean your weapon, shoot another box, clean your weapon. Repeat until you're very comfortable with the gun's safety features, aiming, shooting, hitting your target with reasonable accuracy, and disassembling and reassembling your gun for maintenance. Then start querying the good folks on this forum about what ammo might work best for you based on your intended use. Target practice, self defense, competition or all of the above.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Berks County)

I wanna see pics of what you're getting and I clean my barrel out before shooting a new gun, some do that, some don't.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by L56 View Post
    Most cops are the worst people ya can ask for firearms advice. And Federal makes probably a dozen different hollow-point loads in 9mm.

Cheap 115 or 124gr FMJ for target/range use. Run about 500rds thru it. Get a couple different brands or varieties of HP for carry/defensed. Run a box iof each thru your pistol , see what load it likes.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!