Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Re: Shot my first AR-15... and hated it

I have no problem with a 16 in barrel AR15 , or even a bullpup such as a steyr AUG or Tavor. The Tavor has got to be the smallest carbine one get without a tax stamp and maintaining a long gun status. However I have a similar complaint as the OP when it comes to Pistol carbines( both pistol and rifle caliber) with SB/SIG braces attached. I can never get comfortable with a SIG Brace regardless of the brand. I shoot them scrunch up like a turtle. With a short sight radius and a device designed to be attacked to one's arm acting like a stock, they are uncomfortable and awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    Love the M 14.
    Heres my M14 (with original selector switch stock) The target is a little gray plate (8")
    above the time stamp on the timer. Windy as hell day, held 3-4 to the left using brown bear ammo.
    New holland.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    When the Garand came out it was ahead of its time and an improvement for the military, when the M14 came out it was already outdated. It took the big brains almost a decade to put a box magazine on a Garand with a shitty lock up system and make it almost uncontrollable with full auto. Compared to the FAL and the AK it was a looser. The American Military shooting doctrine of having expert marksman in the 3 traditional shooting stances shooting a .30 cal is why we didn’t have the FAL in .280 which I also think the Garand was originally chambered in as well but I may be incorrect on that. Late note the Garand was original designed to be chambered in .276.

It’s the shortest lived service rifle in the last century for a reason. Yes they came back at the start of the current conflict in limited rolls but that was out of necessity and the fact they were sitting in inventory.

I have owned two and used them for Hi Power competitions for a time. I still have one they are decent rifles for current production but nothing magical and require much work and big dollars in order to make real accuracy improvements to. I sure wouldn’t want one in any SHTF type of situation. Way better .308 pattern rifles out there if I were to have to choose a battle rifle including ones developed at the same time.

Just my opinion.
    Function aside... Even just look at the ergonomics compared to its contemporaries. Traditionally shaped stock made out of all wood. Safety inside the trigger guard. Selector separate from the safety in another not so great location.

Compare that to a G3 or an FAL, and it's evident that the G3 and FAL share more with modern firearms than the M14 does.

Back on topic, I don't love shooting ARs either. They're kinda just... boring. Nothing really all that exciting about them. That being said, it's hard to beat the versatility and customizability. If one were looking for just pure practicality, it's hard to beat.

(Chester County)

Planning to make it this year to the central pa shoot and like the OP in this thread I have never shot an AR but would love to check one out. I'm willing to bring some 223 or 556 or most likely both if someone would let me shoot their rifle. Kinda afraid it would lead to an expensive addiction though.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Planning to make it this year to the central pa shoot and like the OP in this thread I have never shot an AR but would love to check one out. I'm willing to bring some 223 or 556 or most likely both if someone would let me shoot their rifle. Kinda afraid it would lead to an expensive addiction though.
    If I go which I plan to I will have several different configurations with me including a 20” M16A4, a 16” dissipator with A1 furniture, and standard 16” modern free floated rifle with a mid length gas system. Your free to have at it all you want.

Palmetto State Armory makes the addiction hurt less.
    Last edited by Hodgie; June 30th, 2019 at 09:23 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Pretty soon I'm gonna need a taller ladder to get them all in one shot.
    I'm going to the shoot. If you are interested in shooting anything specific, let me know.

Top to bottom:

AR47 7.62x39
    Lightweight 5.56
    7.5" pistol in 5.56
    9mm carbine
    5.56 carbine
    22LR carbine
    5.56 carbine

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Count me an as well, not a fan of ARs or 1911s. I trained with an M14 and had one throughout my first tour, and coming back for the second I was issued an M16. Hated it, and realize that the ARs are different but would still rather have an M14.
    Bigger is better. And when you smack someone upside the head with the stock of an M14, they stay smacked.
    The downside of that is that pretty soon you were left with an M14 pistol and an M14 club as the butt stock would break at the wrist (the walnut ones, anyway).
    The modern ar is very different than the one fielded in the 60's. There have been over 50 improvements to the military's technical data package (just from Colt, there are probably more from FN) during the M16's service.

I remember from years ago how the M14 service rifle guys cried a river when the small statured black rifle started kicking the 30 cals ass out to 600 meters...
    I have carried both rifles in the field. The M14 is a heavy beast with half the ammo load of the 16. Admittedly I'm no stud, but when I was 18 I was a skinny 11B knot head like a lot of you guys were- the M14 was still heavy, especially when coupled with all the mission essential equipment you might have to hump with it (I was a 60 gunner and an rto at different times so I have carried my share of weight).
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Tioga County)

I'm not a big AR fan, in fact I have yet to find my perfect rifle, but I built my first one this year and certainly two reasons for that was cost and ability to customize it to my liking.

You can't have it all, it's give and take. If you want the perfect rifle you will need more then one rifle.

Last edited by :-); July 1st, 2019 at 07:21 AM.

(Franklin County)

My first contact with an M16 was in bootcamp. I grew up shooting wood and steel rifles and when they handed me the M16 I thought "is this a toy, when do I get the real thing". And that was a full sized A1. My M4 clone feels small and cheap as hell but it works and I'm sure would serve it's purpose just fine.
    The Hostler

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast