Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Shot my first AR-15... and hated it

I have never owned an AR. I am more a wood and steel kinda guy so when an opportunity came up the other day, I tried one at the range. First, my initial impression was quickly confirmed. It is a short gun and was horribly out of proportion to my build. It feels like a kiddie gun. Why is the stock so short? It was so bad that the ear muff kept hitting the stock if I wanted to sight the target. Couldn't finish the two boxes of ammo fast enough and get out of there. At least I got it out of my system.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Shot my first AR-15... and hated it

did you extend the stock or just shoot it collapsed?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Clearfield County)

try an a2, m4's are kinda shit

(Allegheny County)

I used to be a wood and steel guy and preferred the AK over the AR.
    Then I discovered the joy of customization and making the gun the way YOU want it to be.
    THEN I started to realize how much I like the lighter weight of the AR15.

I have a bunch of them now. I have to say that I prefer the solid stock as it feels much less like a toy.
    Many adjustable stocks rattle, so I got the kind that doesn't. Much nicer.

Without knowing exactly what rifle you shot, there's no way to truly answer your question about the stock length - maybe it was set for the owner who is smaller than you? I've never heard anyone complain about a fixed stock being too short - most complain that they're too long.
    I dunno. I'm short, so they "fit" me just fine when I shorten up the stock to fit me.

It's not really a surprise you didn't care for it though if you like "real" rifles - they are way different in how they handle and how you hold them to shoot.

Everyone is different with different tastes. Interestingly enough, that's one of the reasons AR15s are SO popular - they are so easy to customize to whatever an individual shooter prefers.

(Allegheny County)

Try this!

I wonder if you would prefer a full size rifle vs a carbine? (which I assume is what you shot)
    18 or 20" barrel and a solid stock...

I'm short, so I prefer a carbine. Nothing wrong with not liking something because it doesn't fit you.
    I always wanted an M1 Garand, or a FN FAL, or other full size battle rifle - until I shot them. GREAT guns, but not for me. Too big.

(Montgomery County)

You really can't beat an AR for soft recoil in its price range.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Ok, here is some more info. The gun was Daniel Defense with a scope. The stock was fully extended. Had I had foam plugs, I probably wouldn't feel as strongly as I did but I still felt the stock was too chort. Heck, I even feel my 10/22/ is a tad short. Someone was explaining that as a military rifle, it is designed so you would hunch over! Not sure about that. But yeah, the recoli was very light, much lighter than my 12 ga. If I ever get one, it has to be cutom built to fit my proportions. I see that AR-15s do come in "full length" as emptymag has pointed out. But man, went though two boxes of ammo in minutes. Now I know why people buy them in bulk.

I'm 6'3" tall and and have no issues using an M4 style AR fully collapsed so unless your 7' tall with the arm span of Michael Jordan I'm not understanding any of your complaints here. If I'm picturing this correctly I take it your standing in the traditional side stance with the trigger arm chicken winged and the butt of the stock resting high on your shoulder too? If so I don't see how the stock on this is any different then any other stock when it comes to hitting ear pro, unless it's a cheek weld issue? As far as shooting hunched over that's not completely correct either but using a squared off stance, feet shoulder width apart is with the rifle stock more at the edge of your chest rather then on your shoulder or in your arm pit. The stock in a collapsed setting would be to offset for the thickness of the amount out of crap your wearing plus body armor.

Here's an M16A4 clone which will have the longer A2 stock being used by a guy who served in two different branches of the military so I'm pretty sure he's shooting it correctly.

I put the video up more for the example of his stance in the picture which is what's going to be used or taught for any modern combat rifle including a wooden stocked AK, but there is a fair amount of shooting at the start and at the end of the video showing different camera angles of his stance if your that interested.

Last edited by Hodgie; June 30th, 2019 at 06:58 AM.

I felt the same way when I first shot one, what a piece of shit I said to myself, all this noise coming from the stock (spring) etc..
    Ive owed 6 since then, two sp1's.

(Chester County)

Well... “hate” seems rather strong. Nevertheless, I’ve hated cleaning M16s/AR15s ever since I was on active duty in 1982.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast