Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-9

(Somerset County)

Default AR-9

Looking for reccomendations on an AR-9. My AR-15's are all M&P 15's. My son shot an AR-9 today and really liked it. Anyone that has one please chime in. Thanks!
    NRA Benefactor

(Delaware County)

Default Re: AR-9

I have a Rock River and have been nothing but happy with it. It’s a Colt pattern gun. Palmetto State Armory runs magazine sales on a regular basis.

If you own a Glock, you may want to pick up a rifle that uses the magazines you already have.

(Beaver County)

I run an Orion upper. They are from Pa. Runs great. Has seen over 10k rounds in competition. 500 for the complwte upper when I bought mine.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Looking for reccomendations on an AR-9. My AR-15's are all M&P 15's. My son shot an AR-9 today and really liked it. Anyone that has one please chime in. Thanks!
    Here's a thread I started several years ago asking for input on building one. Some of the product info is probably dated and there are a TON more options on the market today, but there's probably some good info to be learned.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=294738

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I have a Rock River and have been nothing but happy with it. It’s a Colt pattern gun. Palmetto State Armory runs magazine sales on a regular basis.

If you own a Glock, you may want to pick up a rifle that uses the magazines you already have.
    Nope. I think PSA has completely stopped selling any Colt pattern anything. I haven't seen their Metalform mags in a year or more and I've signed up to be notified when back in stock.
    I think they removed any item that competed with their house brand 9mm stuff that runs on Glock mags.

Speaking of... Glock pattern AR15s are gay.

(Allegheny County)

And here's my build/picture thread...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=313395

(Somerset County)

Thanks for your replys. I may look into one of PSA's kits or parts.
    NRA Benefactor

(Allegheny County)

The biggest decision you will need to make is "Colt pattern" or "Glock pattern". (type of mags it uses)

Then you need to decide if you want a dedicated 9mm lower that has a mag well sized for one of the above, or if you want to use a standard AR15 lower and use a mag block. (inserts into the mag well to fill in the space and make a 9mm mag fit)

Pros and cons to all and there's no right answer for all.

Mag blocks allow you to use a standard lower and if you later change your mind, you can remove the mag block and use teh lower for something else.
    Mag blocks are typically the more expensive route - a dedicated lower is almost always cheaper than getting a lower and a mag block.

MOST bolt carrier groups are now made to work with either type of mag.

Do you want a 16" carbine, or a pistol?
    I built a carbine, but I wish I had built a pistol - 9mm seems more suited for that setup.
    Not that I regret the carbine at all - it's a lot of fun. I'll probably end up with a 9mm AR pistol at some point too, but doing it over and only having one or the other, I would have gone the pistol route first.

I hate the LOOK of Glock pattern AR15s - the angled magazine just looks weird to me. Different strokes for different folks.

(Allegheny County)

Here's a vid talking about the different choices. I didn't watch all of it, so I can't say how good the info is...

(Somerset County)

I see PSA has 16" carbines for $549 with dedicated 9mm magwell for Glock mags. Thats probably what I want since I have a shitload of 15 round Glock mags.

I've never ordered a complete firearm on line before, guess I'll need to see if my LGS will do the paperwork for me.
    NRA Benefactor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast