Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dimpling barrel for AR gas block

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    First time the block gets a lateral hit you'll be glad you dimpled it. Get the hardened steel jig. 6months after buying a tool and for the rest of your life, you won't remember what you paid for it, but you'll still have it.

Building right is a pride in workmanship you can feel even on the economy builds. The practice in methods and procedures will be their for that special build you'll inevitably find yourself in the middle of.
    I agree. The last few rifles I assembled I decided to use the Colts armors manual that the military uses and did everything to those specs. Some things in there I never heard of and even most high end civilian manufacturers don’t do. While these things may not be necessary for 99 of civilian light use they sure won’t hurt and I know my two main “go to” rifles are 100% right and ready if need be.

One less thing to think about.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    I never had a gas block loosen and I don't dimple or lock tight, I just lock them down tight. Shot thousands of rounds through more then one build. If you torque the screws down tight, the screws will dig in enough that you will see marks in the barrel if you want to drill it just take it off and you will see where the marks are.
    That raises a burr that will make removal of the block harder and scratch up the surface. You can do it. It's just not a best practice.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Erie County)

Hodgie, I am pretty sure that I have a dimpling jig in the shop. If you want to borrow it for you build . I just need to know what your gas block spacing is.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Allegheny County)

I have three uppers that were purchased complete - two PSAs and a Rock River Arms with and HBAR profile barrel.
    No idea if any of them are dimpled - I doubt the PSA is.

I have a bunch of others that were assembled from parts - none of the barrels I purchased were dimpled regardless of brand - the "best" being a Faxon. The gas blocks used were a mix of clamp on and set screw types. So far so good, but I don't operate, so...

Then I pick up that $99 7.5" complete upper kit (minus BCG) from Combat Armory and THAT barrel came with a dimple in it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I have three uppers that were purchased complete - two PSAs and a Rock River Arms with and HBAR profile barrel.
    No idea if any of them are dimpled - I doubt the PSA is.

I have a bunch of others that were assembled from parts - none of the barrels I purchased were dimpled regardless of brand - the "best" being a Faxon. The gas blocks used were a mix of clamp on and set screw types. So far so good, but I don't operate, so...

Then I pick up that $99 7.5" complete upper kit (minus BCG) from Combat Armory and THAT barrel came with a dimple in it. Go figure.
    My Faxon barrels all came with pinned gas blocks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    My Faxon barrels all came with pinned gas blocks.
    Did you choose to add a gas block as an option? If so, good to know that they pin them.
    None of their barrels on the site show a gas block on them - I didn't look to see if you can add them, but I seem to recall that option.

I got their 16" pencil for my wife's lightweight and I wanted a specific adjustable gas block that I was getting elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Did you choose to add a gas block as an option? If so, good to know that they pin them.
    None of their barrels on the site show a gas block on them - I didn't look to see if you can add them, but I seem to recall that option.

I got their 16" pencil for my wife's lightweight and I wanted a specific adjustable gas block that I was getting elsewhere.
    Yes I purchased them from AIM Surplus they came with the Faxon gas block and the barrel was cut for the pin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12