Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7.35mm Carcano reloading

Anyone ever load for this rifle caliber? Need recommendations on which company has dies at a decent price. Research shows Hornady shellholder #21, or 26 as the correct shell holder numbers, or is the RCBS shellholder #9, the better one? Please do not recommend Lee dies, or Lee shell holder number 2, to me for this caliber, there have been too many negative comments regarding their use.

Also if anyone has a copy of the 1977 version of the Hornady reloading manual, I would greatly appreciate any reloading info, from that book pertaining to this caliber. Preferably a picture of those pages.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: 7.35mm Carcano reloading

A friend has a carcano with folding bayonet/sheath for sale if anyone is interested. Sorry for thread derail.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
    Please do not recommend Lee dies, or Lee shell holder number 2, to me for this caliber, there have been too many negative comments regarding their use.
    You obviously never checked the prices of the different dies. Lee would be the only one I would consider. They work just fine and you are not loading to win a benchrest competition.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You obviously never checked the prices of the different dies. Lee would be the only one I would consider. They work just fine and you are not loading to win a benchrest competition.
    Very good point. Its a 7.35 carcano, your ammo is going to be capable of much better accuracy than the gun ever will, and you're never going to load thousands of rounds for it. Since this is purely a recreational pursuit why would lee dies not be acceptable? Shell holders who cares, they're all about the same price, but dies are going to cost more than the rifle is worth.

I also happen to have the lyman manual from '67 if that data would work

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    That's correct, but Lee dies & shell holder for the Carcano have been known to rip the rims off 7.35 Carcano brass. The brass is expensive enough to purchase without destroying it while reloading. Even tho, I'm not shooting
    to win a benchrest competition with the Carcano, I do want to be able to get a decent group with the rifle at 100 yards. I like hitting what I'm shooting at.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Very good point. Its a 7.35 carcano, your ammo is going to be capable of much better accuracy than the gun ever will, and you're never going to load thousands of rounds for it. Since this is purely a recreational pursuit why would lee dies not be acceptable? Shell holders who cares, they're all about the same price, but dies are going to cost more than the rifle is worth.

I also happen to have the lyman manual from '67 if that data would work
    raxar - Your assumption of my loading habits ("you're never going to load thousands of rounds for it") is probably partially true, however my reasoning regarding Lee dies for this particular caliber is based on a very good reason. See my reply to Delkal.
    I do have some Lee dies in my possession, and I do use them, however, Lee's shell holder/set for the 7.35 Carcano have been known to cause problems with the Carcano brass available. I personally think it's the loose fit of the Lee #2 shell holder, which is actually designed for the 308 cartridge family (243, 270,30-06 etc.), and is a sloppy fit for the Carcano, which might be the reason for the problems with the shell holder/die problems.
    I would be grateful for the data from your "67" Lyman manual. Thanks.
    Last edited by OldSchoolRanger; June 29th, 2019 at 04:55 PM.

Delkal - Yes, I have checked the prices of the 7.35 Carcano dies. I'm going to say (Hornady $78.99) ouch!, and with regard to the Redding dies in that caliber I'm going to have to say (Redding $199.99) Ouch!, Ouch!, Ouch!, Ouch!.

What I plan on doing is to have a little patience, and shop for a used set of Hornady 7.35 Carcano dies. It should be at a little more reasonable price. That's why I'm doing the leg work, to try to find out which company die set are available in that caliber.

I still haven't received an answer to my other question. Does anyone know what is the correct RCBS or Hornady shell holder number to use for the 7.35 Carcano?

BTW, still looking for someone with a copy of the 1977 version of the Hornady reloading manual, for load info for the 7.35mm Carcano. Anyone?

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post

I still haven't received an answer to my other question. Does anyone know what is the correct RCBS or Hornady shell holder number to use for the 7.35 Carcano?
    Try a #9 RCBS, should be the same as the .35 rem and 6.5 carcano. I'll post the data pictures tonight

(Bucks County)

According to this site a Hornady 21 will work. But read the reviews. One said it was perfect and the other said it was too SMALL. If Lee shellholders are sometimes too big I think there may be am issue with the brass. Modern manufacturers may be out of spec?

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/6375

I would use a good lube like Imperial sizing wax. You only need the smallest amount but make sure you don't miss any of the brass (and do the interior of the neck). A properly lubed case should not get stuck enough to rip off the rim and you should never hear a "sqwack" sound when romoving If it does you are doing something wrong.

I know you decided against Lee but of all the die manufacturers they have the best design for a stuck case. You loosen the bushing holding in the decapper, then use a punch to pound the decapper and case out. Other dies can have you cursing.

(Centre County)

Go to the castboolits site (http://castboolits.gunloads.com) to see if anyone has the dies/shell holder for sale, you might get them cheaper. They may also give you some good tips on reloading for it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast