Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 7.35mm Carcano reloading

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Try a #9 RCBS, should be the same as the .35 rem and 6.5 carcano. I'll post the data pictures tonight
    raxar - Thanks, will give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    According to this site a Hornady 21 will work. But read the reviews. One said it was perfect and the other said it was too SMALL. If Lee shellholders are sometimes too big I think there may be am issue with the brass. Modern manufacturers may be out of spec?

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/6375

I would use a good lube like Imperial sizing wax. You only need the smallest amount but make sure you don't miss any of the brass (and do the interior of the neck). A properly lubed case should not get stuck enough to rip off the rim and you should never hear a "sqwack" sound when romoving If it does you are doing something wrong.

I know you decided against Lee but of all the die manufacturers they have the best design for a stuck case. You loosen the bushing holding in the decapper, then use a punch to pound the decapper and case out. Other dies can have you cursing.
    Delkal - I'm going to be using PPU brass, picking it up from a friend that owns a LGS, It's not once fired, but it's not abused brass either. I only use Imperial sizing wax, when loading for any rifle calibers on a single stage press (RCBS Rock chucker). When loading for the 223, I use Hornady One Shot case lube, and I give it a good once over, shake it up, and spray it again, then let it sit and allow the spray to work around.
    Thanks for the stuck case warning, but been there and done that. As far as a stuck case, I made my own stuck case removal kit, and have only had to use it once over the years since I've been reloading. Don't want to jinx, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Go to the castboolits site (http://castboolits.gunloads.com) to see if anyone has the dies/shell holder for sale, you might get them cheaper. They may also give you some good tips on reloading for it.
    xringshooter - Thanks for the tip, I've been checking evil-bay every couple of days looking for a used Hornady or Redding (I wish) die set for the Carcano. I'll find one eventually. One thing I have plenty of is time.

(Clearfield County)

Here's the data from my manual. If you don't have any yet I recommend getting some Hodgdon Trail Boss powder for reloading these types of calibers. It will save you the hassle of trying to find data since there is a formula for figuring out how much to use, and it makes for very mild plinking loads

raxar - I took your advice and picked up a RCBS shell holder #9 from my LGS. Bought a fired 7.35 Carcano brass along. It's a much better fit than the #2 Lee shell holder, recommended by Lee Precision. Thanks for the reloading data. Now all I have to do is pick up a die set made by Hornady at a decent price. Failing that I'm open to giving the Lee dies a try, now that I have remedied what I think is the problem with the Lee dies in this caliber.

Thanks all who responded for your help.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
    Anyone ever load for this rifle caliber? Need recommendations on which company has dies at a decent price. Research shows Hornady shellholder #21, or 26 as the correct shell holder numbers, or is the RCBS shellholder #9, the better one? Please do not recommend Lee dies, or Lee shell holder number 2, to me for this caliber, there have been too many negative comments regarding their use.

Also if anyone has a copy of the 1977 version of the Hornady reloading manual, I would greatly appreciate any reloading info, from that book pertaining to this caliber. Preferably a picture of those pages.

Thanks in advance.
    CH4D will make them for you. Dave is good people and will get it done right. You will pay a good bit for them.

Do a search under "Carcano".

http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list?page=11

Grafs also has them.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ywords=carcano

Grafs also carries .300 bullets, well, a bullet.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Here's the data from my manual. If you don't have any yet I recommend getting some Hodgdon Trail Boss powder for reloading these types of calibers. It will save you the hassle of trying to find data since there is a formula for figuring out how much to use, and it makes for very mild plinking loads
    Trialboss will work really well with these older rounds. Hodgdon has a guide for using Trialboss with any cartridge.

I've used this guide for 30-06 with 220 gr Berrys. I came in at just 1,000 feet per second and pretty consistently. I second on Trailboss.

Probably work great with .300 cast bullets for the Carcano.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...loads-2018.pdf
    Last edited by GeneCC; August 6th, 2019 at 10:56 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

One last thing - word around the campfire is that the Carcano does not like to be used without the en-bloc clip. The rounds will not line up right causing damage to the extractor. I fiddled with my 6.5 and sure enough loading them one at a time requires some care.

I don't know if the 7.35 has this alignment problem. The en-bloc clips are cheap.

Supposedly the action is pretty strong. While it looks delicate the quality of steel that the Italian military chose is supposed to be high.

I've cast my 6.5 Carcano rifles. They have a considerable jump before they encounter rifling. I am not sure about the 7.35 rifle.

The 6.5 Carcano Moschetto carbine is a very handy rifle. The fixed sights are pretty good. If the Italians had run with a spitzer round with the aluminum nose like the 7.35 and used box magazines they'd have a nice item. Handy like an AK nice.

They're still being used in Libya. Prvi Partisan makes really nice 120 gr FMJ rounds.

(Carbon County)

I'm looking for some of those Carcano 'magic bullets'.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    I'm looking for some of those Carcano 'magic bullets'.
    I recall reading that Oswald purchased a lot of US made ammunition made on a contract for another government. They sold some on the US market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12